Applies from Tue 31 Mar 2020, 12.00pm. Last reviewed: Mon 1 Jun 2020, 11.58am.
Closed areas: Closed areas in Kosciuszko National Park
A number of visitor facilities, attractions and sites in Kosciuszko National Park remain closed until further notice. This includes a number of areas closed due to the recent bushfires.
Some picnic areas with picnic tables and barbecues are open, but visitors should take their own precautions:
- Bring your own sanitiser and disinfectant
- Be careful of touch points (assume contamination and act accordingly)
- If sick, stay home
- If crowded, leave, and always maintain social distancing.
- We need your help to stay open
Camping and accommodation
- Some campgrounds and on-park NPWS-managed accommodation venues remain closed. For all open campgrounds, bookings are now required. Please visit the the NSW National Park website or call the NPWS contact centre on 1300 072 757 prior to arrival.
Yarrangobilly Caves is open for self-guided walks and access to the thermal pool, visitor centre and all caves remain closed to the public.
- Individual businesses such as cafes and restaurants are making their own decisions about whether to open for business, ensuring they are compliant with current restrictions.
- Bullocks Hut, including the access track from the Ski Tube Terminal, is closed due to maintenance works.
Some sections of Kosciuszko National Park which have been burnt remain closed. This is because they still may pose a risk to visitors due to dangerous trees and damaged infrastructure.
Specific areas which are closed due to the fires include:
- Areas within the northern section of the park:
- Landers Falls lookout
- Wolgal Hut
- Buddong Falls
- Cabramurra township. Snowy Hydro's operational town of Cabramurra suffered significant fire damage and, for safety reasons, is temporarily closed.
The following key roads in Kosciuszko National Park remain closed due to fire damage:
- Alpine Way area:
- Olsens Lookout Road
- Geehi Dam Road
- Geehi Walls trail
- Major Clews trail
- Grassy Flats trail
- Murray Gates trail
- Bicentennial trail
- Cabramurra area:
- Link Road from Snowy Mountains Highway to Goat Ridge Road
- Tooma Road - KNP5 (Khancoban to Cabramurra Road). The road is expected to reopen in December 2020.
- Goats Ridge Road
- Elliot Way. The road is expected to reopen in May 2021.
- Kings Cross Road
- Snowy Mountains Highway area:
- Goobragandra Power Line Road
These roads and trails will remain closed until hazardous trees are treated, debris is removed and repair work is completed.
Do not enter closed areas in Kosciuszko National Park. Penalties apply for non-compliance. For more information, contact the local NPWS office.
Affects 30 locations in this park: