Applies from Tue 31 Mar 2020, 12.00pm. Last reviewed: Wed 13 Apr 2022, 9.29am.
Closed areas: Closed areas in Kosciuszko National Park
A number of sites in Kosciuszko National Park remain closed or may have other restrictions until further notice. This includes a number of areas closed due to the 2019/2020 bushfires.
Some sections of Kosciuszko National Park which have been burnt remain closed. This is because they still may pose a risk to visitors due to dangerous trees and damaged infrastructure.
Specific areas which are closed due to the fires include:
- Areas within the park:
- Selwyn Snow Resort
- Kiandra Court House
- Wolgal Hut
- Pattinson's Hut and Matthew's Cottage
- Cabramurra township. Snowy Hydro's operational town suffered significant fire damage and for safety reasons is currently closed.
- Selwyn Snow Resort is being rebuilt following fire damage, and is currently a construction site. For your safety, public access to this area is strictly prohibited and all signage in this area must be followed.
Huts that burnt down in the 2020 fires. The location is open but there is no hut/building:
- Bradley/O'Briens Hut, Brooks Hut, Delaneys Hut, 4 Mile Hut, Happy's Hut, Harveys Hut, Linesman's No.3 Huts, Round Mountain Hut, Sawyers Hut, Vickeries Hut and Dry Dam Ski Shelter.
- Please take care as there may be broken glass/nails that are uncovered since NPWS made records and cleaned up site.
- Please do not disturb site or remove artefacts.
The following key roads in Kosciuszko National Park are closed due to fire damage:
- Kings Cross Road from the Kings Cross Road and Link Road intersection to Selwyn Resort (closed to facilitate the Selwyn Resort rebuilding works).
- Tantangara Road and Tantangara Dam access - Snowy 2.0 works:
- Tantangara Road may be subject to short closures between Snowy Mountains Highway and the gate below Tantangara Reservoir Wall for maintenance and upgrade works. These closures are required to allow for upgrades to Tantangara Road as part of the Snowy 2.0 project. The schedule of closures is subject to design, and construction programs are yet to be finalised. Please check for alert updates a week before you travel.
- Wares Yards campground will remain open during roadworks.
- Access to the southern end of Tantangara Reservoir via Quarry trail will be closed to the public.
- Access to the southern end boat ramp is open but may be subject to short-term closures.
- Current boating and camping access to Tantangara Reservoir will still be available at access points on the northern end of the reservoir, via Port Phillip and Dam trails.
- Access to Currango and Old Snowy campground will remain open, with access via Port Phillip or Tantangara Road.
Do not enter closed areas in Kosciuszko National Park. Penalties apply for non-compliance. For more information, contact the local NPWS office.