Selwyn area in Kosciuszko National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Wolgal Hut.
Getting there and parking
Wolgal Hut is closed until further notice due to bushfire damage. Wolgal Hut is in the Kiandra precinct of Kosciuszko National Park.
From Cooma, take Snowy Mountains Highway via Adaminaby towards Kiandra for approximately 90km.
From Tumut travel south on the Snowy Mountains Highway for almost 100km.
Please ensure you have winter mix diesel vehicles in winter months, to avoid the fuel freezing.
- It's recommended that all vehicles carry snow chains from the June to October long weekends. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- Snow chains required after snow
Parking is available at Wolgal Hut. However, during the winter months you might need to park closer to the highway to ensure you aren’t snowed in.
- Pillow cases and bottom sheets are provided. It can get quite cold so come prepared for cold weather.
- Wolgal Hut is fully-furnished and has a full kitchen with gas appliances and two bathrooms.
- You must be self-sufficient operating a generator (fuel supplied) and gas appliances including heater, fridge and stove.
- There is no DVD player, television or stereo in the accommodation.
- There are no laundry facilities
- Outdoor fires may only be lit where barbecues are provided
- Please leave the premises clean and tidy, with cutlery and cooking utensils washed and put away, or additional cleaning fees may be charged.
- If possible, please take all rubbish with you upon departure. Otherwise place in the bin behind the hut.
- We advise you boil the water at Wolgal. Wolgal Hut is operated with a combination of ULP generator and solar/batteries and gas.
- Guests must read the instructions provided at the hut for operation. Use of multiple devices may drain electricity supplies.
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - no wheelchair access
Caravans and camping are not permitted in the Kiandra Heritage precinct.
Flying a drone for recreational purposes is prohibited in this area. Drones may affect public enjoyment, safety and privacy, interfere with park operations, or pose a threat to wildlife. See the Drones in Parks policy.
This area may be a declared Drone Exclusion Zone, or may be subject to Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) rules for flying near airports, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites. See CASA's Drone Flyer Rules.
Commercial filming and photography
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- in the Selwyn area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
The Selwyn area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kings Cross Road and the Khancoban-Cabramurra Road are closed in winter (June to October long weekends). Some campgrounds in the Selwyn area close in winter.
Park entry fees apply in winter on Link Road
June to October long weekends: $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day (24hrs).Buy annual pass