Applies from Sun 11 Nov 2018, 9.40am. Last reviewed: Fri 8 Nov 2019, 4.24pm.
Safety alerts: High altitude tracks – steep snow drifts
There are still many drifts about on the higher altitude parts of the main range. Please note the following information when walking in the areas listed below:
Main Range walk:
Please expect numerous snow drift crossings, and make sure that:
- Footwear is waterproof, solid (for stepping into steep snow drifts) and with good grip.
- You take a map and compass and know how to use them (sections of track are still not obvious under snow).
- You take extreme caution when walking over Muellers Peak as this drift is very steep.
The Summit trail/ Summit walk:
You will likely only encounter snow drifts above the ~6.5km mark (below Seamans Hut). Please make sure that:
- You're wearing good waterproof footwear for a more comfortable and safer walk.
- You have some idea of where you're going and/or have a map. The Summit drift presents a small risk of going off track.
- You take extreme caution when walking across snow drifts.
- You will encounter a few drifts before Rawson Pass snow drifts. Please take care when traversing these.
- Beyond Rawson Pass the Summit drift requires caution.
For more information, please call Snowy Region Visitor Centre on 02 6450 5600.