Main Range walk
Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Main Range walk.
Grade 4Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
7 - 9hrs
Quality of markings
Clearly sign posted
Quality of path
Formed track, some obstacles
Some bushwalking experience recommended
Getting there and parking
Main Range walking track is in the Alpine precinct of Kosciuszko National Park. To get there:
- Drive along Kosciuszko Road from Jindabyne past the ski resorts of Smiggin Holes, Perisher Valley and Charlotte Pass Village 40km to Charlotte Pass.
- Parking outside the 20-minute only area
All 2WD vehicles need to carry snow chains in winter, between June and October long weekends, on:
- Kosciuszko Road (to Perisher)
- Guthega Road
- Alpine Way between Thredbo and Tom Groggin
Snow chains are recommended for all vehicles driving in the park, including 4WD and AWD, in the event of extreme weather. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips.
Street parking is available nearby to the trackhead on Kosciuszko Road. Bus parking is also available.
Take advantage of toilets where provided, including Rawson Pass. If you've got to go, preferably plan to bag your toilet waste, especially at high use areas without toilets.
Please help protect the sensitive alpine environment by carrying out your waste and rubbish to deposit in an appropriate facility within the resort areas or outside the park.
Maps and downloads
- You can cross-country ski or snowshow this track in winter but there are no snow poles marking the route.
- Walking isn't recommended when this track is snowbound.
- Cycling, including fat bikes or snow bikes, is not permitted on the Main Range or between Rawson Pass and the Mount Kosciuszko summit.
Camp fires and solid fuel burners
No open/wood fires are permitted in alpine areas. Remember to bring a gas or fuel stove if you intend to cook.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas. The alpine resorts of Thredbo, Perisher, Charlotte Pass, Selwyn, Ski Rider and Kosciuszko Tourist Park are exempt, though some commercial and outdoor places within these resorts may have no smoking areas.
- Snowy Region Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6450 5600
- 49 Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne NSW 2627
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter). Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc).Buy annual pass