Applies from Wed 10 May 2023, 9.01pm to Mon 2 Oct 2023, 9.34am. Last reviewed: Sat 30 Sep 2023, 1.58pm.
Safety alerts: High altitude walks - snow covered
The following high altitude walks are still snow covered:
- Main Range walk
- Mt Kosciuszko Summit walk (free of snow for about two thirds of walk)
- Kosciuszko walk
- Mount Stilwell walk
- Schlink Hut walking track
- Dead Horse Gap walk
Other walks may have shorter sections of snow and ice cover. Snow covered walks can be more difficult to follow, slippery, icy and steep. There is also a risk of long falls and slides as you cross slopes. You should be prepared for winter conditions with:
- Snowshoes (and solid/waterproof walking boots), skis or splitboard
- Navigation skills and a map, compass and GPS
- Plans for all walks to take longer than normal
- Winter clothing.
If you plan to visit these areas in winter, follow alpine safety advice.
For more information, contact the local NPWS office on 02 64505555.