Applies from Tue 31 Mar 2020, 12.00pm. Last reviewed: Wed 24 Jun 2020, 3.51pm.
Closed areas: Closed areas in Kosciuszko National Park
A number of visitor facilities, attractions and sites in Kosciuszko National Park remain closed until further notice. This includes a number of areas closed due to recent bushfires.
Camping and accommodation
Some NPWS campgrounds and accommodation will need to remain closed. If you plan to stay at an NPWS campground that is open you'll need to make a booking first. This applies to campgrounds that did not require bookings previously. If you can't find your preferred Kosciuszko National Park campground on a webpage, check this list of lesser-known campgrounds in Kosciuszko National Park and make your booking from there. If you're still unable to find your preferred campground phone 1300 072 757.
- Yarrangobilly Visitor Centre and all caves remain closed to the public. Yarrangobilly Caves is open for walks and the thermal pool is open.
- Individual businesses such as cafes and restaurants are making their own decisions about whether to open for business, ensuring they are compliant with current restrictions.
- Bullocks Hut, including the access track from the Ski Tube Terminal, is closed due to maintenance works.
Some sections of Kosciuszko National Park which have been burnt remain closed. This is because they still may pose a risk to visitors due to dangerous trees and damaged infrastructure.
Specific areas which are closed due to the fires include:
- Areas within the park:
- Kiandra Court House
- Landers Falls lookout
- Wolgal Hut
- Buddong Falls
- Bicentennial National trail. For more information visit the Bicentennial National Trail website.
- Back country areas affected by fires. For more information please contact our visitor centres in Jindabyne, Tumut or Khancoban.
- Cabramurra township. Snowy Hydro's operational town suffered significant fire damage and, for safety reasons, is temporarily closed.
The following key roads in Kosciuszko National Park are closed due to annual winter or fire damage:
- Alpine Way area:
- Olsens Lookout Road
- Geehi Dam Road
- Geehi Walls trail
- Major Clews trail
- Grassy Flats trail
- Murray Gates trail
- Cabramurra area:
- Link Road from Snowy Mountains Highway to Goat Ridge Road
- Tooma Road - KNP5 (Khancoban to Cabramurra Road).
- Goats Ridge Road
- Elliot Way
- Kings Cross Road
- Tumut Ponds trail
- Snowy Mountains Highway area:
- Goobragandra Power Line Road
- Bullocks Hill trail
- Cumberland trail
- Long Plain Road
- Pocket Saddle Road
- Port Phillip trail
- Broken Cart
- Blue Waterholes trail
- Four Mile trail
- Kosciuszko Road Perisher to Charlotte Pass
These roads and trails will remain closed until the October Long Weekend or until hazardous trees are treated, debris is removed and repair work is completed.
Do not enter closed areas in Kosciuszko National Park. Penalties apply for non-compliance. For more information, contact the local NPWS office.