Applies from Sun 19 Jan 2020, 5.17pm. Last reviewed: Tue 31 Mar 2020, 2.04pm.
Closed areas: Kosciuszko National Park - part closure
Sections of Kosciuszko National Park have been reopened following recent bushfires, but some areas which have been burnt and still may pose a risk to visitors due to dangerous trees and damaged infrastructure remain closed.
The following areas of Kosciuszko National Park remain closed:
- All areas which have been burnt by the recent fires remain closed due to the risk of dangerous trees falling
- All areas north of Snowy Mountains Highway:
- Yarrangobilly Caves.
- Blue Waterholes campground
- Yolde campground and Jounama Creek campground
- Cabramurra township. Snowy Hydro's operational town of Cabramurra suffered significant fire damage and for safety reasons is temporarily closed.
The following key roads in Kosciuszko National Park remain closed:
- Alpine Way area:
- Olsens lookout Road
- Geehi Dam Road
- Geehi Walls trail
- Major Clews trail
- Grassy Flats trail
- Murray Gates trail
- Bicentennial trail
- Cabramurra area:
- Link Road from Snowy Mountains Highway to Goat Ridge Road
- Tooma Road - KNP5 (Khancoban to Cabramurra Road) - expected reopening December 2020
- Goats Ridge Road
- Elliot Way - expected reopening May 2021
- Kings Cross Road
- Snowy Mountains Highway area:
- Tantangara Road
- Yarrangobilly Caves Road
- Goobragandra Power Line Road
These roads and trails will remain closed until hazardous trees are treated, debris is removed and repair work is completed.
Do not enter closed areas in Kosciuszko National Park. Penalties apply for non-compliance. For more information, contact the local NPWS office.