Applies from Tue 31 Mar 2020, 12.00pm. Last reviewed: Mon 17 Jan 2022, 10.17am.
Closed areas: Closed areas in Kosciuszko National Park
A number of sites in Kosciuszko National Park remain closed or may have other restrictions until further notice. This includes a number of areas closed due to the 2019/2020 bushfires.
Some sections of Kosciuszko National Park which have been burnt remain closed. This is because they still may pose a risk to visitors due to dangerous trees and damaged infrastructure.
Specific areas which are closed due to the fires include:
- Areas within the park:
- Selwyn Snow Resort
- Kiandra Court House
- Wolgal Hut
- Buddong Falls
- Pattinson's Hut, Matthew's Cottage, Bradley/O'Briens Hut, Brooks Hut, Delaneys Hut, 4 Mile Hut, Happy's Hut, Harveys Hut, Linesman's No.3 Huts, Round Mountain Hut, Sawyers Hut and Vickeries Hut.
- Cabramurra township. Snowy Hydro's operational town suffered significant fire damage and for safety reasons is currently closed.
- Selwyn Snow Resort is being rebuilt following fire damage, and is currently a construction site. For your safety, public access to this area is strictly prohibited and all signage in this area must be followed.
The following key roads in Kosciuszko National Park are closed due to fire damage:
- Cabramurra area:
- Tumut Ponds trail
- Kings Cross Road from the Kings Cross Road and Link Road intersection to Selwyn Resort (closed to facilitate the Selwyn Resort rebuilding works).
- Tantangara Road and Tantangara Dam access - Snowy 2.0 works:
- Tantangara Road may be subject to short closures between Snowy Mountains Highway and the gate below Tantangara Reservoir Wall for maintenance and upgrade works. These closures are required to allow for upgrades to Tantangara Road as part of the Snowy 2.0 project. The schedule of closures is subject to design, and construction programs are yet to be finalised. Please check for alert updates a week before you travel.
- Wares Yards campground will remain open during roadworks.
- Access to the southern end of Tantangara Reservoir via Quarry trail will be closed to the public.
- Access to the southern end boat ramp is open but may be subject to short-term closures.
- Current boating and camping access to Tantangara Reservoir will still be available at access points on the northern end of the reservoir, via Port Phillip and Dam trails.
- Access to Currango and Old Snowy campground will remain open, with access via Port Phillip or Tantangara Road.
- Elliott Way:
- Currently open. Motorists, please drive with care. Construction activities are still underway and some sections of the road remain unsealed at present.
- Completion of construction works and resealing of the road surface over the summer may require some brief, planned closures. These will be communicated well in advance and timed to minimise disruption.
- The nature of the Elliott Way road corridor has significantly changed since the fires, and there may be further road closures at short notice due to slips or rockfalls.
Do not enter closed areas in Kosciuszko National Park. Penalties apply for non-compliance. For more information, contact the local NPWS office.