Applies from Sat 9 Apr 2022, 1.03pm. Last reviewed: Tue 16 Aug 2022, 8.53am.
Closed areas: Parts of Blue Mountains National Park closed
Many walking tracks, roads and fire trails within Blue Mountains National Park remain closed following sustained wet weather, subsequent geological instability or infrastructure upgrades. As sites are opened, we remind visitors that these areas have been subject to long periods of high rainfall, and landslides, rockfall and treefall can occur without notice.
Please check which areas are closed before travelling.
The following areas are closed:
Katoomba and Leura
- Giant Stairway
- Dardanelles Pass
- No access to Scenic World from Echo Point via Giant Stairs and Dardanelles Pass
- Federal Pass (west of Furber Stairs)
- Sublime Point fire trail
- Gordon Falls track and lookout closed due to trackwork
- Lone Lyrebird track between Gordon Road and the War Memorial, due to a major washout
- Lillian's Bridge track - closure at junction of Inspiration Point track. No through access to Valley of the Waters and the Conservation Hut due to a major landslide.
- Prince Henry Cliff walk between Gordon Falls lookout and Olympian lookout, due to landslides. Visit the Blue Mountains City Council website for information.
- Prince Henry Cliff walk between Echo Point and Cliff View lookout due to trackwork
- Lady Darley track to Prince Henry Cliff walk due to track work
- Amphitheatre track
- Bridal Veil lookout (west of Leura Cascades) is closed until the end of August 2022 for upgrade works
- Golf Links lookout to Carleton Road, Leura, is closed Monday to Friday for trackwork
- Golden Stairs
- Glenraphael Road and Narrow Neck trail due to major landslide
- Ruined Castle walking track
- Six Foot Track - Nellies Glen to Megalong Valley
- Nature track closed between Edinburgh Castle Rock and Lillian's Bridge due to landslide
- Valley of the Waters closed below Roberts Pass
- Charles Darwin walk
- National Pass
- Wentworth Pass
- Conservation Hut
- Valley of Waters Picnic Area
- Kedumba Pass Fire Trail
- Kedumba River Crossing campground
- Ingar Road is closed where it traverses private property at the west end. Ingar campers must walk in via Anderson's or Bedford Roads
- Little Switzerland Drive and Chester Road Fire trails will be closed from the 8th August until the 16th September to allow for road works. No through access to Rocket Point and Wentworth Falls.
- Empress Canyon until Friday 19 August to allow for track repairs. Empress Canyon remains open on weekends.
Blackheath, Medlow Bath, Megalong Valley, Mount Victoria and Bells Line of Road
- Govetts Leap Lookout and Picnic Area
- Govetts Descent
- Horse track
- Rodriguez Pass
- Braeside walking track due to track work (Braeside Road is open to cyclists and walkers)
- Evans lookout due to upgrade work
- Perrys Lookdown campground
- Base of Pierces Pass to Blue Gum Forest and Burra Korain Flat along Grose River
- Victoria Falls walking track
- Pulpit walking track and Pulpit Rock lookout
- Walls Cave walking track due to trackwork
- Green Gully and Dunphy's Campground are closed until 31st August with no access for all vehicles, cyclists and walkers due to land slips
- Popes Glen walking track will be closed from 15th to 16th August 2022 for helicopter operations. No access from Govetts Leap.
Lawson, Woodford, Hazelbrook
- Murphys Glen Road closed to all vehicles (open to walkers and cyclists - weekends only) until 19th August to allow for flood repair works.
- Murphys Glen campground closed until 31 August 2022 to allow for roadworks and campground improvements
- Bedford Creek Fire Trail is closed to all vehicles and pedestrians until Friday 19th August to allow for flood repairs. Walkers and cyclists permitted on the weekends.
Faulconbridge, Springwood, Glenbrook
- Martins Lookout track to Glenbrook Creek is closed for walking track works until Friday 30 September 2022
- Euroka campground closed until Thursday 11th August 2022
Canyons and rock climbing
- Climbing and canyoning areas in the Blue Mountains are open unless the access road is closed or the site is listed in this alert
- Empress Canyon - Access via West St only. Exit via Valley of the Waters to Conservation Hut.
Grade 5 tracks and off-trail areas
Grade 5 tracks and off-trail areas are open, excluding those listed below. Grade 5 tracks are for very experienced bushwalkers with specialised skills such as advanced navigation and emergency first aid. Please visit this page for further information on track grades.
If you plan on embarking on Grade 5 tracks or undertaking off-trail activities, please be aware of the likelihood of changed conditions and consider current safety advice.
Closed Grade 5 tracks:
- Mount Solitary loop due to landslides near Ruined Castle
- K2K (Kanangra to Katoomba) access only available from Kanangra Walls. Green Gully, Dunphy's Campground and Narrow Neck trail are closed. Also note: Due to the ongoing wet conditions, Coxs River can flood at short notice and may be impassable. Walkers should check conditions before departing.
- Rodriguez Pass
- Govetts Descent
- Horse track
- Vera Falls and Hippocrene Falls walking tracks
Penalties apply for non-compliance. For more information, please contact the local office.
Affects 40 locations in this park: