Applies from Sat 9 Apr 2022, 1.03pm. Last reviewed: Fri 1 Jul 2022, 5.16pm
Closed areas: Parts of Blue Mountains National Park closed
Many walking tracks, roads and fire trails within Blue Mountains National Park remain closed following sustained wet weather, subsequent geological instability or infrastructure upgrades. As sites are re-opened, we remind visitors that these areas have been subject to long periods of high rainfall, and landslides, rockfall and treefall can occur without notice.
Please check which areas are closed before travelling.
The following areas are closed:
Katoomba and Leura
- Mount Hay fire trail is closed to vehicles (pedestrians and cyclists allowed)
- Golden Stairs
- Furber Steps
- Fern Bower
- Federal Pass
- Kedumba Pass and Sublime Point fire trails
- Gordon Falls track and lookout closed from Monday 2 May 2022 due to track work
- Lillian's Bridge track - closure at junction of Inspiration Point track. No through access to Valley of the Waters and the Conservation Hut due to a major landslide.
- Prince Henry Cliff walk between Gordon Falls lookout and Olympian lookout, due to landslides. Visit the Blue Mountains City Council website for information.
- Prince Henry Cliff walk between Lady Darley lookout and Cliff View lookout due to trackwork
- Amphitheatre track
- Bridal Veil lookout (west of Leura Cascades) is closed from 15 June 2022 to approximately the end of August 2022 for upgrade works
- Lone Lyrebird track between Gordon Road and the War Memorial, due to a major washout
- Pool of Siloam and Lyrebird Dell walking tracks
- Golf Links lookout to Carleton Road, Leura, is closed Monday to Friday for trackwork
- Dardanelles Pass loop walking track
- Giant Stairway
- No access from Echo Point to Scenic World via Giant Stairs and Dardanelles Pass
- Narrow Neck trail
- Ruined Castle walking track
- Six Foot Track - Nellies Glen to Megalong Valley
- McMahons Point Lookout fire trail is closed to vehicles (pedestrians and cyclists allowed)
- Valley of the Waters track below Empress lookout
- Wentworth Falls track below the top crossing
- Nature track closed between Edinburgh Castle Rock and Lillian's Bridge due to landslide
- Valley of Waters walking track closed below Sylvia Falls
- Charles Darwin walk
- National Pass
- Wentworth Pass
- No access to Conservation Hut parking area or visitor facilities
- Kedumba River Crossing campground
Blackheath, Medlow Bath, Megalong Valley, Mount Victoria and Bells Line
- Pierces Pass fire trail is closed to vehicles (pedestrians and cyclists allowed)
- Victoria Falls fire trail is closed to vehicles (pedestrians and cyclists allowed)
- Hat Hill fire trail is closed to vehicles (pedestrians and cyclists allowed)
- Grand Canyon walking track and carpark
- Point Pilcher fire trail is closed to vehicles (pedestrians and cyclists allowed)
- All access tracks into the Grose Valley are closed, including Perrys Lookdown track, Shortridge Pass (Lockleys Pylon to Blue Gum), Victoria Falls walking track, Govetts Descent, Horse track, Rodriguez Pass and Pierces Pass.
- Braeside walking track due to track work (Braeside fire trail is open to cyclists and walkers.)
- Walls Cave walking track due to trackwork
- Evans lookout
- Blue Gum Forest
- Acacia Flat campground
- Perrys Lookdown campground
- Pulpit walking track and Pulpit Rock lookout
Lawson, Woodford, Hazelbrook
- Murphys Glen Road closed to vehicles (open to walkers and cyclists).
- Murphys Glen campground closed until Friday 15 July 2022 to allow for roadworks and campground improvements
- Empire Pass
Canyons and rock climbing
- Empress Canyon is closed
- Climbing and canyoning areas in the Blue Mountains are open unless the access road is closed or the site is listed in this alert.
Grade 5 tracks and off-trail areas
Grade 5 tracks and off-trail areas are open, excluding those listed below. Grade 5 tracks are for very experienced bushwalkers with specialised skills such as advanced navigation and emergency first aid. Please visit this page for further information on track grades.
If you plan on embarking on Grade 5 tracks and undertaking off-trail activities, please be aware of the likelihood of changed conditions and consider current safety advice.
Closed Grade 5 tracks:
- Mount Solitary loop due to landslides near Ruined Castle
- K2K (Kanangra to Katoomba) access only available from either Green Gully (Dunphy's campground) or Kanangra Walls. Narrow Neck trail is currently closed. Also note: Due to the ongoing wet conditions, Coxs River can flood at short notice and may be impassable. Walkers should check conditions before departing.
- Shortridge Pass from Lockleys Pylon to Blue Gum
- Roberts Pass
- Lindeman Pass
- Rodriguez Pass
- Govetts Descent
- Horse track
- Vera Falls and Hippocrene Falls walking tracks
Penalties apply for non-compliance. For more information, please contact the local office.
Affects 1 park and 42 locations nearby.