Mount Keira Ring track
Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area
Encircling Mount Keira, the ring track passes through the varied terrains and forests of the Illawarra Escarpment, starting and finishing in a perfect picnic spot.
- Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area
- 5.5km loop
- Time suggested
- 3hrs 30min - 4hrs 30min
- Grade 4
- Opening times
The track-head at Byarong Park is open from sunrise to sunset.
- Please note
- For your own safety, please stay on the track at all times.
- Do not wander off the track or attempt to ride, climb or walk through the escarpment because of serious risk of injury from rock fall in these areas.
Circling Mount Keira in an engaging loop, the ring track is a terrific setting for a casual hike or an energetic run. Expect to encounter a lush parade of forests and terrain, from cool sub-tropical bush to lofty red cedars and rocky outcrops. Catbirds call in the rainforest as you trace the old route of an early colonial road.
You’ll find the track-head by following the trail from the car park to the Girl Guide Camp entrance road. Cross the road, rejoining the trail on the other side. The ring track is just a short distance away.
If you want to make a day of it, pack a picnic. Byarong Park picnic area is a terrific spot to settle down for a relaxing barbecue or an afternoon ball game.
Take a virtual tour of Mount Keira Ring track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- Wollongong office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
- 02 4224 4188
- Unit G Ground Floor, 84 Crown Street, Wollongong NSW 2500
- in Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area in the South Coast region
Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger. However, it is recommended that bushwalking only be undertaken during daylight hours because of the presence of cliff edges and other hazards.