Mount Keira Ring track
Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area
Encircling Mount Keira, the ring track passes through the varied terrains and forests of the Illawarra Escarpment, starting and finishing in a perfect picnic spot.
- 5.5km loop
- Time suggested
- 3hrs 30min - 4hrs 30min
- Grade 4
- Opening times
The track-head at Byarong Park is open from sunrise to sunset.
- Please note
- For your own safety, please stay on the track at all times.
- Do not wander off the track or attempt to ride, climb or walk through the escarpment because of serious risk of injury from rock fall in these areas.
- Take great care crossing Mount Keira Road, it can be busy at times.
- When walking in a clockwise direction, at the junction with Mount Pleasant trail turn right to stay on Mount Keira Ring track and return to Byarong Park.
Circling Mount Keira in an engaging loop, the ring track is a terrific setting for a casual hike or an energetic run. Expect to encounter a lush parade of forests and terrain, from cool sub-tropical bush to lofty red cedars and rocky outcrops. Catbirds call in the rainforest as you trace the old route of an early colonial road.
You’ll find the track-head by following the trail from the Byarong car park to the Girl Guide Camp entrance road. Cross the road, rejoining the trail on the other side. The ring track is just a short distance away.
If you want to make a day of it, pack a picnic. Byarong Park picnic area is a terrific spot to settle down for a relaxing barbecue or an afternoon ball game.
Take a virtual tour of Mount Keira Ring track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Wollongong office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 4224 4188
- Unit G Ground Floor, 84 Crown Street, Wollongong NSW 2500
- in Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area in the South Coast region
Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger. However, it is recommended that bushwalking only be undertaken during daylight hours because of the presence of cliff edges and other hazards.