Applies from Wed 15 Jul 2020, 12.38pm to Wed 31 Mar 2021, 12.39pm. Last reviewed: Fri 5 Mar 2021, 5.06pm.
Closed areas: Bungonia Caves
All caves in Bungonia National Park and Bungonia State Conservation Area are closed due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Penalties apply for non-compliance. For more information contact the Fitzroy Falls Visitor Centre on 02 4887 7270.
Key Messages - Caves
- These unique environments are mostly enclosed places with minimal airflow and high levels of humidity. They contain multiple surfaces where dust and other airborne matter can easily settle. By their nature, they also make the important task of cleaning and sanitising related infrastructure (such as handrails) much more difficult.
- The close physical interactions that are required for recreational caving (in “wild caves”) means that the application of the standard precautions recommended to manage the risk of COVID-19 transmission cannot be applied.
- For these reasons, NPWS developed a strategy for the reopening of caves which was based on an assessment of risk. NPWS has now been able to reopen limited guided tours of caves at Jenolan and Yarrangobilly and the maximum tour size is now being reassessed.
- Options for allowing access to wild caves by speleological groups operating under a COVID Safety Plan are also being assessed.
- Approval for access to caves for critical maintenance and/or research purposes is considered on a case-by-case basis.