Applies from Sat 9 Apr 2022, 1.03pm. Last reviewed: Fri 20 May 2022, 5.15pm
Closed areas: Parts of Blue Mountains National Park closed
Many walking tracks, roads and fire trails within Blue Mountains National Park remain closed following sustained wet weather, subsequent geological instability and infrastructure upgrades. As sites are re-opened, we remind visitors that these areas have been subject to long periods of high rainfall, and landslides, rockfall and treefall can occur without notice.
Please check which areas are closed before travelling.
The following areas are closed:
Katoomba and Leura
- Kedumba Pass and Sublime Point fire trails
- Gordon Falls track and lookout closed from Monday 2 May 2022 due to track work
- Lillians Bridge track - closure at junction of Inspiration Point track. No through access to Valley of the Waters and the Conservation Hut due to a major landslide
- Prince Henry Cliff walk between Gordon Falls lookout and Olympian lookout, due to landslides. Visit the Blue Mountains City Council website for information.
- Prince Henry Cliff walk between Lady Darley lookout and Cliff View lookout due to track work
- Amphitheatre track
- Lone Lyrebird track between Gordon Road and the War Memorial, due to a major washout.
- Pool of Siloam and Lyrebird Dell walking tracks
- Golf Links lookout to Carleton Road, Leura, is closed Monday to Friday for trackwork.
- Federal Pass walking track
- Dardanelles Pass loop walking track
- Giant Stairway (Echo Point to Scenic World)
- Furber Steps-Scenic Railway walking track
- Golden Stairs walking track
- Leura Cascades Fern Bower circuit
- Lyrebird Dell walking track
- Narrow Neck trail
- Ruined Castle walking track
- Six Foot Track - Nellies Glen to Megalong Valley
- Nature track closed between Edinburgh Castle Rock and Lilians Bridge
- Valley of Waters walking track closed below Empress lookout
- Charles Darwin walk
- National Pass
- Wentworth Pass
- No access to Conservation Hut parking area or visitor facilities
- No access to Lawson View fire trail to allow for road upgrade. Works are expected to be completed by Tuesday 31 May, 2022.
- Kedumba River Crossing campground
Blackheath, Medlow Bath, Megalong Valley, Mount Victoria and Bells Line
- All access tracks into the Grose Valley are closed, including Perrys, Shortridge pass (Lockleys Pylon to Blue Gum), Victoria Falls walking track, Govetts Descent, Horse track, Rodriguez and Pierces Pass.
- Braeside walking track due to track work (Braeside fire trail is open to cyclists and walkers.)
- Walls Cave walking track due to track work
- Evans lookout carpark and visitor facilities
- Evans lookout
- Clifftop walking track - return walk only from Govetts Leap. No access via Braeside or Evans lookout.
- Victoria Falls Road closed to vehicles (open to walkers and cyclists)
- Grand Canyon walking track
- Acacia Flat campground
- Blue Gum Forest
- Govetts Leap descent
- Perrys Lookdown campground
- Perrys Lookdown to Blue Gum Forest walking track
- Pierces Pass to Blue Gum Forest walking track
- Pulpit Rock lookout
- Pulpit walking track
- Rodriguez Pass walking track
- Victoria Falls walking track
Lawson, Woodford, Hazelbrook
- Murphys Road fire trail closed to vehicles (open to walkers and cyclists)
- Empire Pass
- Bedford Creek fire trail closed from Wednesday 18 May until Friday 10 June 2022 to allow for flood recovery works. No access for walkers or cyclists.
Canyons and rock climbing
- Empress and Grand Canyon are closed
- Climbing and canyoning areas in Blue Mountains are open unless the access road is closed or the site is listed in this alert.
Grade 5 tracks and off-trail areas
Grade 5 tracks and off-trail areas are open, excluding those listed below. Grade 5 tracks are for very experienced bushwalkers with specialised skills such as advanced navigation and emergency first aid. Please visit this page for further information on track grades.
If you plan on embarking on Grade 5 tracks and undertaking off-trail activities, please be aware of the likelihood of changed conditions and consider current safety advice.
Closed Grade 5 tracks:
- Mount Solitary loop due to landslides near Ruined Castle
- K2K (Kanangra to Katoomba) access only available from either Green Gully (Dunphy's campground) or Kanangra Walls. Narrow Neck Plateau is closed due to a large geological hazard. Other: Due to the ongoing wet conditions, Coxs River can flood at short notice and may be impassable. Walkers should check conditions before departing.
- Shortridge Pass from Lockleys Pylon to Blue Gum
- Roberts Pass
- Lindeman Pass
- Rodriguez Pass
- Govetts Descent
- Horse track
- Vera Falls and Hippocrene Falls walking tracks
Penalties apply for non-compliance. For more information, please contact the local office.
Affects 1 park and 37 locations nearby.