Applies from Tue 31 Mar 2020, 12.00pm. Last reviewed: Fri 24 Sep 2021, 4.20pm
Closed areas: Closed areas in Kosciuszko National Park
A number of visitor facilities, attractions and sites in Kosciuszko National Park remain closed or may have other restrictions until further notice. This includes a number of areas closed due to recent bushfires.
Some NPWS campgrounds and accommodation will need to remain closed. If you plan to stay at an NPWS campground that is open you'll need to make a booking first. This applies to campgrounds that did not require bookings previously. If you can't find your preferred Kosciuszko National Park campground on a webpage, check this list of lesser-known campgrounds in Kosciuszko National Park and make your booking from there. If you're still unable to find your preferred campground phone 1300 072 757.
Some sections of Kosciuszko National Park which have been burnt remain closed. This is because they still may pose a risk to visitors due to dangerous trees and damaged infrastructure.
Specific areas which are closed due to the fires include:
- Areas within the park:
- Selwyn Snow Resort
- Kiandra Court House
- Wolgal Hut
- Buddong Falls
- Bradley/O'Briens Hut, Brooks Hut, Delaneys Hut, 4 Mile Hut, Happy's Hut, Harveys Hut, Linesman's No.3 Huts, Round Mountain Hut, Sawyers Hut and Vickeries Hut.
- Cabramurra Township. Snowy Hydro's operational town suffered significant fire damage and, for safety reasons, is temporarily closed.
- Selwyn Snow Resort is being rebuilt following fire damage, and is currently a construction site. For your safety, public access to this area is strictly prohibited and all signage in this area must be followed.
The following key roads in Kosciuszko National Park are closed due to fire damage:
- Alpine Way area:
- Murray Gates trail
- Grassy Flat trail
- The Bicentennial National Trail - Geehi to Tom Groggin
- Cabramurra area (currently closed until fire damage repair works completed):
- Tumut Ponds trail
- Kings Cross Road from the Kings Cross Road and Link Road intersection to Selwyn Resort
- Elliott Way (slip rectification works underway) - see below for opening dates.
- Khancoban to Cabramurra Road currently closed due to minor rock falls. Planned opening from midday Friday 1 October 2021.
- Tantangara Road and Tantangara Dam access - Snowy 2.0 works:
- Tantangara Road may be subject to short closures between Snowy Mountains Highway and the gate below Tantangara Reservoir Wall for maintenance and upgrade works. These closures are required to allow for upgrades to Tantangara Road as part of the Snowy 2.0 project. The schedule of closures is subject to design, and construction programs are yet to be finalised. Please check for alert updates a week before you travel.
- Wares Yards campground will remain open during roadworks
- Access to the southern end of Tantangara via Quarry trail will be closed to the public
- Access to the southern end boat ramp is open but may be subject to short term closures
- Current boating and camping access to Tantangara Reservoir will still be available at access points on the northern end of the reservoir, via Port Phillip and Dam trails.
- Access to Currango and Old Camp will remain open, with access via Port Phillip or Tantangara Road.
- Elliott Way
- Open from midday Friday 1 October 2021 - Boundary Road (National Park entry) to O'Hares Campground.
- O'Hare's Campground to Link Road intersection remains closed with full road opening planned by mid-October 2021.
Do not enter closed areas in Kosciuszko National Park. Penalties apply for non-compliance. For more information, contact the local NPWS office.
Affects 1 park and 14 locations nearby.