Applies from Fri 14 Apr 2023, 12.00am to Fri 7 Jul 2023, 5.00pm. Last reviewed: Wed 31 May 2023, 10.39am.
Closed areas: Bitou bush spraying operation
A helicopter bitou bush spraying operation will take place in a number of national parks in the NPWS Clarence area from Sunday 4 June 2023 to Friday 7 July 2023.
The program will involve the use of the herbicide Metsun (metsulfuron-methyl 600). Some national park beaches and headlands will be temporarily closed during the helicopter operation for public safety.
The affected areas include:
- Lake Arragan to One Mans Bluff
- South of Sandon Village to the northern end of Illaroo Beach
- Wilsons/Wooli Beach: Wilson's headland south to One Tree Point
- Freshwater Beach and Station Creek Beach hind dunes
- Wilsons picnic area will be closed on the day for operational purposes.
The areas treated have dense or large bitou bush infestations that are not accessible using other treatment methods. This program is part of a systematic weed control program throughout Yuraygir National Park.
Signage will be in place and NPWS staff will advise of the closure and secure the treatment sites on the day. The program is weather-dependant. Each site will be closed for up to a period of 3 hours.
Penalties apply for non-compliance. For more information, please email or call the NPWS Clarence area office on 02 6641 1500.