Thaaklatjika Mingkana walking track
Mutawintji National Park
A short, easy walk, suitable for wheelchairs, that winds into the splendour of Mutawintji's gorges to Thaaklatjika (Wright's Cave). Within this rocky overhang are some fascinating examples of Aboriginal and post-colonial history, including paintings and stencils.
- 0.8km return
- Time suggested
- 30min - 1hr
- Grade 2
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- In wet weather, access within the park maybe closed, and the public roads are susceptible to weather closures. Please check with the Broken Hill park office before you head out.
- Outback NSW can be very hot in summer. If travelling at this time, please be well-prepared for the extreme conditions and read our safety tips.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch
An oasis in the desert, Thaaklatjika Mingkana walking track offers an accessible outback experience for everyone. This short walk takes you through the ancient lands of the Malyankapa and Pandjikali people in far western NSW.
At the Thaaklatjika overhang, also known as Wrights Cave, you’ll see an array of Aboriginal paintings, stencils and engravings.
From rock art kangaroos and emus, gaze across the wooded grasslands for a chance to spot the real thing.
Meandering the easy track through the Mutawintji gorges, take in the spectacular rich red sandstone cliffs of the Bynguano Ranges. Pause for a moment in the shade of the massive river red gums lining the picturesque creek. This is a real birdwatchers delight, so keep an eye out for the distinct zebra finches, short-billed correllas and budgerigars.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
Located in semi-arid lands near Broken Hill, Mutawintji National Park, Mutawintji Historic Site and Mutawintji Nature Reserve are all rich in Aboriginal history and culture. NSW National Parks and the Mutawintji Board of Management are working together to ensure their preservation.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Broken Hill office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm. Closed 1pm to 2pm.
- 08 8084 2880
- 183 Argent Street, Broken Hill NSW 2880
- in Mutawintji National Park in the Outback NSW region
Mutawintji National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.