Rockholes Loop walking track
Mutawintji National Park
Rockholes Loop walking track is an adventurous extension to Homestead Gorge walking track, in Mutawintji National Park. This short but steep hike includes Aboriginal engravings and splendid views of rockholes, Homestead Gorge and Bynguano Range.
- Mutawintji National Park
- 5.6km loop
- Time suggested
- 2hrs 30min - 3hrs 30min
- Grade 5
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- Before setting out in the wilderness area, please register with the ranger or contact the Broken Hill office on 08 8080 3200.
- Outback NSW can be very hot in summer. If travelling at this time be well prepared for the extreme conditions.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch
If you’re after a rock-hopping adventure, be sure to try Rockholes Loop walking track in Mutawintji National Park, in western NSW. This extension of the Thaakalatjika Mingkana walking track and Homestead Gorge walking track is a short but steep loop for the nimble footed seeking an extra side of scenic view.
Strolling along the creek lined with river red gums, you’ll discover an array of Aboriginal rock art and engravings amongst the maze of overhangs and rock faces. This area teems with wildlife and is home to the only known colony of the endangered yellow-footed rock wallaby.
Reaching the top of the steep ascent, soak in the scenic desert views over the rugged Homestead Gorge and the fiery red Bynguano Range. Picnic beside the dark and mysterious rockpools before heading back.
For those wanting an extra challenge, take the Bynguano Range walking track. Either way, you’ll welcome a lazy night around the campfire under the stars.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
Located in semi-arid lands near Broken Hill, Mutawintji National Park, Mutawintji Historic Site and Mutawintji Nature Reserve are all rich in Aboriginal history and culture. NSW National Parks and the Mutawintji Board of Management are working together to ensure their preservation.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Broken Hill office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm. Closed 1pm to 2pm.
- 08 8084 2880
- 183 Argent Street, Broken Hill NSW 2880
- in Mutawintji National Park in the Outback NSW region
Mutawintji National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.