Bynguano Range walking track
Mutawintji National Park
A challenging, scenic walk over the rocky ridge of the Bynguano Range in Mutawintji National Park.
- Mutawintji National Park
- 7.5km loop
- Time suggested
- 4 - 6hrs
- Grade 5
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen, suitable clothing
- Please note
- In wet weather, access within the park maybe closed, and the public roads are susceptible to weather closures. Please check with the park office before you head out.
- Before setting out in the wilderness area, please inform someone of your itinerary and register with the ranger or contact the Broken Hill office on 08 8080 3200.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
Breathtaking in more ways than one, this scenic walk will challenge the most hardy of bushwalkers. Bynguano Range walking track branches off the Homestead Gorge trail and crosses over the rocky ridge of the Bynguano Range to the west of the Mutawintji National Park.
The walk starts leisurely enough as it meanders between the craggy cliffs of Homestead Creek. Keep your eye out for impressive Aboriginal rock art at the Thaaklatijika overhang. Climbing steeply over the Bynguano Range, stop to view the spectacular maze of valleys and rugged gorges. Kangaroos and emus forage in the grassy woodland below, and perhaps you’ll glimpse the rare yellow-footed rock wallaby.
Stop to refuel and take in the birdlife - you’ll probably hear the unmistakable chatter of the correllas while there might be a majestic wedge-tailed eagle, or even a peregrine falcon, circling above.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
Located in semi-arid lands near Broken Hill, Mutawintji National Park, Mutawintji Historic Site and Mutawintji Nature Reserve are all rich in Aboriginal history and culture. NSW National Parks and the Mutawintji Board of Management are working together to ensure their preservation.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Broken Hill office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm. Closed 1pm to 2pm.
- 08 8084 2880
- 183 Argent Street, Broken Hill NSW 2880
- in Mutawintji National Park in the Outback NSW region
Mutawintji National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.