Thaaklatjika Mingkana walking track
Mutawintji National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Thaaklatjika Mingkana walking track.
Features of this track
30min - 1hr
Quality of markings
Clearly sign posted
No experience required
Quality of path
Getting there and parking
On entering Mutawintji National Park, drive past the visitor centre, take the road to Homestead Creek campground and follow the signs to Thaaklatjika Mingkana walking track.
Check the weather before you set out as the road to Thaaklatjika Mingkana walking track can become boggy when it rains.
Parking is available at Thaaklatjika Mingkana walking track.
Best times to visit
Mutawintji National Park is best visited during autumn, winter and spring when daytime weather is pleasant. Summer in the outback can be very hot.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
30°C and 35°C
17°C and 31°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- No fuel or food is available at Mutawintji National Park, so bring sufficient supplies of each for an extended stay in the event of rain.
- Drinking water, toilet facilities and picnic tables are situated at the Mutawintji Visitor Centre.
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - medium
- This 800m return walk from the carpark follows a bitumen pathway with a gentle but steady slope.
- It's suitable for wheelchairs, prams, and visitors with limited mobility, however some assistance may be required along sloping bitumen surface.
Medium access presents some minor difficulties, such as a grassy surface. You may require a little assistance to get around in some areas.
- Broken Hill office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm. Closed 1pm to 2pm.
- 08 8084 2880
- 183 Argent Street, Broken Hill NSW 2880
- in Mutawintji National Park in the Outback NSW region
Mutawintji National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Mutawintji Visitor Centre
51 Old Coach Road, Mutawintji, NSW 2880
- Mutawintji Visitor Centre is always open but it's unstaffed (self service).