Stay safe in Outback NSW
The mystery and beauty of the outback make it a brilliant place to visit. During your stay, your safety is the highest priority. Please use the national park offices as an information source, and as a check in point if you're heading to very remote areas.
Read more about Stay safe in Outback NSW
Outback NSW is a region of extreme temperatures, reaching up to 50°C in some places. You might want to avoid the midsummer heat. Remember also that the nights can be cold and temperatures can drop well below 0°C at times in winter. Autumn and spring are the best times for extended stays and long drives.
Plan your drive
- Tell someone your travel plans before setting out
- Be prepared for unsealed roads that may be impassable after rain. Check with local NPWS national park offices
- Consider getting NRMA roadside assistance before you go or call 13 11 22
- Some outback roads are unsuitable for 2WD vehicles
- Keep your vehicle in top condition and carry extra fuel, spare tyres and wheel-changing equipment
- Take extra food and extra water
- Check the locations of local food and fuel supplies before you go
Be prepared for road closures
Roads in the Outback NSW region may need to be closed at times due to flooding. Before you travel, contact one of the local councils or traffic authorities below for information on road closures and road conditions.
Live traffic updates
Visit Live Traffic NSW for the most up-to-date traffic information for NSW.
Call the NSW Roads and Maritime Services 24 hour information line on 132 701.
Visit VicTraffic for the most up-to-date traffic information for Victoria. Or call them on 131 170.
Safety apps for mobile phones
Please note, these apps only work when you have mobile reception. Download them before you go.
Emergency+ : Will help you to contact emergency services. It's a free app developed by Australia's emergency services and their Government and industry partners.
Fires Near Me: Use this app to check for bushfires in NSW before you go, especially in summer.
If your vehicle breaks down
If you break down, stay with your vehicle and remain calm, to make rescue easier.
Local council phone numbers
- Road condition broadcast 24-hour recorded message: 08 8082 6660.
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm: 08 8082 6699.
- After hours: 0429 346 432 (sealed roads). 0429 394 612 (unsealed roads).
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm: 03 5027 5090.