Old Coach Road drive
Mutawintji National Park
The Old Coach Road drive is a piece of Australian history, following a section of the historic Broken Hill to White Cliffs Coach Run that connected these two outback towns.
- Mutawintji National Park in Outback NSW
- 10km one-way
- Please note
- Many of the park’s roads are unsealed so take extra care, bring plenty of petrol, food and water and check the weather before setting out
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch
The short drive takes in the ruins of the Rockholes Hotel that was built to accommodate passing trade between the two towns, as well as spectacular rock formations like Wana Karnu and Split Rock.
Also along the drive you'll find great spots for viewing the kangaroos, wallaroos and emus that live in the park.
After a 10km drive to the end of the road, you'll see that Split Rock is a 3km walk from the carpark, so come prepared for a bit of bushwalking and plenty of photo opportunities. You'll also find a picnic table so be sure to bring a tasty picnic lunch along.
If you're planning to do the Mutawintji Wilderness trek beyond Split Rock, you'll need to fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to an emergency contact. For local safety tips contact the Broken Hill office.
Google Street View Trekker
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
Mutawintji National Park joint management program
Located in semi-arid lands near Broken Hill, Mutawintji National Park, Mutawintji Historic Site and Mutawintji Nature Reserve are all rich in Aboriginal history and culture. NSW National Parks and the Mutawintji Board of Management are working together to ensure their preservation.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Broken Hill office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm. Closed 1pm to 2pm.
- 08 8084 2880
- 183 Argent Street, Broken Hill NSW 2880
- in Mutawintji National Park in the Outback NSW region
Mutawintji National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (10)
- Aboriginal culture (5)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (2)
- Cultural heritage (3)
- Historic heritage (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (2)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (1)
- Sightseeing (2)
- Visitor centres (1)
- Walking (7)