Applies from Sat 9 Apr 2022, 1.03pm. Last reviewed: Tue 29 Nov 2022, 1.59pm
Closed areas: Parts of Blue Mountains National Park closed
Many walking tracks, roads and fire trails within Blue Mountains National Park remain closed following sustained wet weather causing subsidence hazards, major landslides or infrastructure upgrades.
The following areas are closed:
Katoomba and Leura
- Honeymoon Bridge is closed due to rockfall risk
- Federal Pass between Leura Forest and Dardanelles Pass junction below the Three Sisters is closed due to track maintenance.
- Gordon Falls track and lookout are closed due to major upgrades.
- Mt Hay Rd will be closed to all vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists from Monday 28th November to Tuesday 29th November 2022 inclusive, for essential road maintenance. Fortress Canyon, Lockleys Pylon, Mount Hay and Butterbox Canyon will not be accessible. No access to the Grose Valley.
- Lone Lyrebird track is closed between Gordon Road and the War Memorial, due to major subsidence. Detour in place.
- Lyrebird Dell walking track is closed due to track maintenance.
- Lillian's Bridge track is closed from Inspiration Point track to Lillians Bridge due to major upgrades.
- Lady Carrington lookout is closed for a major upgrade.
- Prince Henry Cliff walk is closed between Gordon Falls lookout and Olympian lookout, due to landslides. Visit the Blue Mountains City Council website for information.
- Prince Henry Cliff walk is closed between Echo Point and Cliff View lookout due to major upgrades.
- Lady Darley track is closed due to major upgrades on Prince Henry.
- Amphitheatre track is closed due to track repairs.
- Glenraphael Drive is closed due to major subsidence. Narrow Neck and Golden Stairs are accessible to pedestrians and cyclists from Narrow Neck lookout on Cliff Drive.
- Ruined Castle and Mount Solitary walking routes are closed due to subsidence.
- Six Foot Track is closed from Nellies Glen to Megalong Valley.
- Lindeman Pass is closed due to a major landslide below Gladstone lookout.
- McMahons Fire trail will be closed to all traffic on weekdays, from Thursday 1st December until Wednesday 14th December to allow for road improvements. Red Ridge, W5, Centre and Kedumba Walls Centre Fire trails are also included in this closure. The area will re-open for weekends only.
- Valley of the Waters track is closed below Sylvia Falls. There is no access to Roberts Pass, Vera Falls, Hippocrene Falls or Wentworth Falls from Valley of the Waters.
- Charles Darwin walk is closed where it traverses Council-managed land due to upgrades. Visit the Blue Mountains City Council website for information.
- National Pass is closed due to landslide.
- Wentworth Pass is closed due to landslide.
- Conservation Hut, carpark and Valley of Waters picnic area are closed due to major upgrades. (opening late November)
- Kedumba Valley Road is closed south of the Sublime Point Fire Trail due to major subsidence.
- Kedumba River campground closed due to subsidence on the access road.
- Ingar Road is closed where it traverses private property at the west end. Ingar campers must walk in via Anderson's or Bedford Roads.
Blackheath, Medlow Bath, Megalong Valley, Mount Victoria and Bells Line of Road
- Govetts Leap lookout and picnic area are closed for major upgrade work. (opening February 2023)
- Evans lookout is closed to vehicles for major upgrade work with detours in place. (opening early December)
- Grand Canyon car park closed, limited parking at Neates Glen and along Evans Lookout Road. (opening mid December)
- Grose Valley and Govetts Gorge access routes are closed including Horse track, and Rodriguez Pass (Bridal Veil Falls) due to landslides.
- Grose River track is closed from Blue Gum Forest to Victoria Falls. (opening mid December)
- Pulpit walking track and Pulpit Rock lookout are closed. Visit the Blue Mountains City Council website for information.
- Perrys Lookdown camping area is closed.
- No Access to Perry's Lookdown Walking track via Hat Hill rd from Tuesday 29th November and Wednesday 28th November due to heavy vehicle movements.
- Limited parking at Perry's Lookdown day use area from Thursday 1st December until Monday 5th December.
- Peery's Lookdown walking track and day use area is will be closed on Tuesday 6th December for helicopter operations.
- Bedford Road and Murphy's Glen camping area are closed to vehicles due to slippery conditions and to protect road surface.
- Empire Pass is closed for track maintenance.
- Echo Bluff and Frederica Falls closed for a helicopter operation from Wednesday 30 November to Friday 1 December 2022.
Canyons and rock climbing
- Climbing and canyoning areas in the Blue Mountains are open unless the access road is closed or the site is listed in this alert.
Penalties apply for non-compliance. For more information, please contact the local office.
If you plan on embarking on Grade 5 tracks or undertaking off-trail activities, please be aware of the likelihood of changed conditions and consider current safety advice.
Grade 5 tracks and off-trail areas are open, excluding those listed below. Grade 5 tracks are for very experienced bushwalkers with specialised skills such as advanced navigation and emergency first aid. Please visit this page for further information on track grades.
Closed Grade 5 tracks:
- Vera Falls and Hippocrene Falls walking tracks
- Horse track
- Rodriguez Pass
- Govetts Descent
- Mount Solitary loop due to landslides near Ruined Castle
- Open: K2K (Kanangra to Katoomba) access available via Narrow Neck lookout track, Dunphy's campground, and from Kanangra Walls. Due to the ongoing wet conditions, Coxs River can flood at short notice and may be impassable. Walkers should check conditions before departing.