Applies from Sat 9 Apr 2022, 1.03pm. Last reviewed: Fri 23 Sep 2022, 3.38pm.
Closed areas: Parts of Blue Mountains National Park closed
Many walking tracks, roads and fire trails within Blue Mountains National Park remain closed following sustained wet weather, subsequent geological instability or infrastructure upgrades. As sites are opened, we remind visitors that these areas have been subject to long periods of high rainfall, and landslides, rockfall and treefall can occur without notice.
Please check which areas are closed before travelling.
The following areas are closed:
Katoomba and Leura
- Honeymoon Bridge lookout is closed due to rockfall risk.
- Gordon Falls track and lookout closed due to trackwork
- Lone Lyrebird track between Gordon Road and the War Memorial, due to a major washout
- Lillian's Bridge track - closure at junction of Inspiration Point track. No through access to Valley of the Waters and the Conservation Hut due to a major landslide.
- Prince Henry Cliff walk between Gordon Falls lookout and Olympian lookout, due to landslides. Visit the Blue Mountains City Council website for information.
- Prince Henry Cliff walk south of the Leura Cascades track junction for approximately 500 metres due to bridge repair. Bridal Veil View lookout (east) accessible from Cliff Drive side access tracks
- Prince Henry Cliff walk between Echo Point and Cliff View lookout due to trackwork
- Lady Darley track to Prince Henry Cliff walk due to trackwork
- Amphitheatre track due to trackwork
- Glenraphael Drive, Narrow Neck Fire Trail and Golden Stairs are accessible to pedestrians and cyclists via walking track from Narrow Neck Lookout on Cliff Drive
- Ruined Castle walking track
- Six Foot Track - Nellies Glen to Megalong Valley
- Mt Hay Road from Lockley's Pylon parking area is 4WD only due to damaged road
- Linderman's Pass and Robert's Pass are closed below Gladstone Lookout and Leura Forest due to a new landslide.
- Valley of the Waters Track closed below Sylvia Falls. No access to Wentworth Pass, Roberts Pass, Vera Falls, Hippocrene Falls or Wentworth Falls from Valley of the Waters
- Charles Darwin walk
- National Pass
- Wentworth Pass
- Conservation Hut
- Valley of Waters picnic area
- Kedumba Pass fire trail below intersection with Sublime Point fire trail
- Kedumba River Crossing campground
- Ingar Road is closed where it traverses private property at the west end. Ingar campers must walk in via Anderson's or Bedford Roads
Blackheath, Medlow Bath, Megalong Valley, Mount Victoria and Bells Line of Road
- Govetts Leap lookout and picnic area due to upgrade work
- Evans lookout due to upgrade work
- Horse track
- Rodriguez Pass
- Govetts Descent
- Braeside walking track due to track work (Braeside Road is open to cyclists and walkers)
- Base of Pierces Pass to Blue Gum Forest and Burra Korain Flat along Grose River
- Base of Victoria Falls to Burra Korain Flat
- Pulpit walking track and Pulpit Rock lookout
- Perrys Lookdown campground
- Perrys Lookdown to Blue Gum Forest Walking Track, Lockleys Pylon to Grose Valley Walking Track and Acacia Flat Campground will be closed Wednesday 28th September for Helicopter operations
Lawson, Woodford, Hazelbrook
- Bedford Road and Murphys Glen campground are closed to all vehicles (open to walkers and cyclists - weekends only) due to slippery road conditions
Faulconbridge, Springwood, Glenbrook
- Martins Lookout track to Glenbrook Creek is closed for walking track works until Friday 28 October 2022
- Blue Gum Swamp trail is closed for maintenance
Canyons and rock climbing
- Climbing and canyoning areas in the Blue Mountains are open unless the access road is closed or the site is listed in this alert
Grade 5 tracks and off-trail areas
Grade 5 tracks and off-trail areas are open, excluding those listed below. Grade 5 tracks are for very experienced bushwalkers with specialised skills such as advanced navigation and emergency first aid. Please visit this page for further information on track grades.
If you plan on embarking on Grade 5 tracks or undertaking off-trail activities, please be aware of the likelihood of changed conditions and consider current safety advice.
Closed Grade 5 tracks:
- Vera Falls and Hippocrene Falls walking tracks
- Horse track
- Rodriguez Pass
- Govetts Descent
- Mount Solitary loop due to landslides near Ruined Castle
- Open: K2K (Kanangra to Katoomba) access available via Narrow Neck Lookout track, Dunphy's campground, and from Kanangra Walls. Due to the ongoing wet conditions, Coxs River can flood at short notice and may be impassable. Walkers should check conditions before departing
Penalties apply for non-compliance. For more information, please contact the local office.