Mountain Maid gold mine
Copeland Tops State Conservation Area
Mountain Maid gold mine tours are cancelled until further notice to protect the health and safety of our visitors and staff. Guided tours through Mountain Maid gold mine are available for visitors to Copeland Tops State Conservation Area. Walking tours start from Hidden Treasure picnic area.
- Historic buildings/places
- Copeland Tops State Conservation Area
$12 per adult. $8 per child (under 16). $28 per family.
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen
Bookings are essential. Contact Gloucester Visitor Information Centre on 02 6538 5252 for tour booking details. For large organised groups and school tours contact the NPWS Newcastle Discovery Coordinator on 02 4927 3267.
- Please note
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
In 1876, a man by the name of Saxby first discovered gold in the district. He found it around Back Creek, now Copeland Creek, near to what is now the village of Copeland. After his discovery, miners from everywhere descended on the area and the population grew to 1,100. Three pubs and four stores soon catered for the needs of 800 miners.
Find out more about the history of mining in the area and see where these gold-hungry souls toiled in Mountain Maid gold mine – one of New South Wales’ longest running operational gold mines. Walk around some historic buildings and get up close and personal with old machinery such as a battery stamper, whirly-gig gold separator, air compressor and gold carts.
Imagine what it was like for them working out here in this remote location. Do you think many noticed the beauty of the surrounding natural environment?
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Gloucester office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6538 5300
- 59 Church Street, Gloucester NSW 2422
- in Copeland Tops State Conservation Area in the North Coast region
Copeland Tops State Conservation Area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.