Hidden Treasure picnic area
Copeland Tops State Conservation Area
Hidden Treasure picnic area, near Gloucester, is the ideal spot for a picnic or barbecue. It's also the access point for Hidden Treasure track and guided tours of Mountain Maid gold mine.
- Picnic areas
- What to
- Drinking water, lunch, hat, sunscreen, insect repellent, clothes for all weather conditions
- Please note
- There's no drinking water or mobile reception in this park.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch.
All paths in Copeland Tops lead from Hidden Treasure picnic area. This lovely picnic spot, in a red cedar and dry rainforest setting, is situated at the main entrance of the park and is the access point to Basin Loop and Hidden Treasure tracks as well as being the meeting point for guided tours through historic Mountain Maid gold mine.
Enjoy a barbecue or picnic before or after exploring the park. Or just relax for the day and make the most of this picnic area. Keep your binoculars handy for birds such as wompoo fruit-doves and glossy black-cockatoos. Listen out for the rare stuttering frog and look up for koalas munching leaves or dozing in the eucalypts. Animals such as spotted-tailed quolls, brush-tailed phascogale and numerous types of microbats are most likely to be seen at dusk and after dark.
Hidden Treasure track
Take a walk through the rainforest along Hidden Treasure track in Copeland Tops State Conservation Area, near Gloucester. You'll pass remnants of the area's mining heritage, including a historic boiler and disused mine entrance.
Mountain Maid gold mine
Guided tours through Mountain Maid gold mine are available for visitors to Copeland Tops State Conservation Area. Walking tours start from Hidden Treasure picnic area.
Basin loop track
Basin loop track continues from Hidden Treasure track to form a longer walk with scenic views of Copeland Tops State Conservation Area via historic Old Copeland Road.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Gloucester office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6538 5300
- 59 Church Street, Gloucester NSW 2422
- in Copeland Tops State Conservation Area in the North Coast region
Copeland Tops State Conservation Area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (26)
- 4WD touring (1)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (7)
- Cycling (1)
- Environmental appreciation/study (1)
- Geotourism (1)
- Historic heritage (6)
- Picnics and barbecues (4)
- Sightseeing (11)
- Walking (14)
- Waterfalls (4)
- WilderQuest tours (1)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (1)