Hidden Treasure track
Copeland Tops State Conservation Area
Hidden Treasure track is a walking route through rainforest that takes in remnants of the area's mining heritage, including a historic boiler and disused mine entrance.
- Copeland Tops State Conservation Area
- 4.5km loop
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min - 2hrs 30min
- Grade 3
- Please note
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- It’s a good idea to put sunscreen on before you set out and remember to take a hat
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
- There is no mobile reception in this park
Hidden Treasure track is an easy walk through dry rainforest following Copeland Creek beneath a canopy of grey myrtle, shatterwood, yellow tulip and other dry rainforest species. This hike also takes you past remnants of the area’s mining history. Look out for adits, which are tunnelled entrances to underground mines. See the boiler from Criterion stamper battery, which used to provide the power to crush ore from the nearby mines.
Hidden Treasure gold reef was discovered in 1877. Despite the name, the treasure did not really stay hidden for long, and this mine became the area’s second most productive, yielding 269kg of gold after its construction. Now that all those miners have left, microbats have moved in and travel back and forth from the cave through the open mesh grill at the mine entrance, generally scavenging for insects.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- Gloucester office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6538 5300
- 59 Church Street, Gloucester NSW 2422
- in Copeland Tops State Conservation Area in the North Coast region
Copeland Tops State Conservation Area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.