Mountain Maid gold mine tour
Copeland Tops State Conservation Area
COVID-safe tours and events
In line with the latest NSW Government COVID-19 advice, masks are encouraged for indoor settings where you cannot maintain a safe distance from others.
Step back in time and uncover the hidden treasures of Mountain Maid gold mine in Copeland Tops State Conservation Area. Discover historic buildings and pan for gold on this tour in the rainforest.
- Every Wednesday from Wednesday 5 January until Wednesday 14 December 2022, 10am to 12pm.
- Every Saturday from Saturday 8 January to Saturday 17 December 2022, 10am to 12pm.
- Mountain Maid gold mine, Copeland Tops State Conservation Area
- Medium. Suitable for adults and children 5 years and over. We’ll walk 4km and there are some steep staircase sections.
Adult $15 per person. Child (5 to 16 years) $10 per person. Family (2 adults, 2 children) $40.
- Meeting point
- Copeland Tops State Conservation Area carpark
- What to
- Drinking water, insect repellent, snacks, sturdy shoes
- Bookings required. Phone 1300 072 757 for more information or book online. For large organised groups and school tours contact the NPWS Newcastle Discovery Coordinator on 02 4927 3267.
Peek inside Mountain Maid gold mine and find out more about the history of mining in Copeland Tops. You'll get up close to old machinery like a battery stamper, whirly-gig gold separator, air compressor and gold carts.
Soak in the tranquility of the rainforest on Hidden Treasure track as we walk. Fun for all ages, we'll follow Copeland Creek and meander beneath the rainforest canopy, past remnants of the area's mining history. You can even pan for gold.
Mountain Maid gold mine was one of New South Wales' longest running operation gold mines. After the discovery of gold in 1876 at Copeland Tops, miners from everywhere descended on the area and the population grew dramatically. Step into their shoes and find out what it was like working in such a remote location.
Please wear enclosed shoes and bring insect repellent, drinking water and snacks. The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you're well-prepared for your visit.
Mountain Maid gold mine and Hidden Treasure track are only accessible through a guided tour.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service
- in Copeland Tops State Conservation Area in the North Coast region
Copeland Tops State Conservation Area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.