Mount Kosciuszko Summit walk
Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park
Get ready for a day of high altitude adventure. Hike or ride from Charlotte Pass to the summit of Mount Kosciuszko, through the high peaks of Kosciuszko National Park.
- Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park
- 18.6km return
- Time suggested
- 6 - 8hrs
- Grade 3
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Opening times
This walk is snowbound in winter, between June and October. You can cross-country ski or snowshoe, but there are no snow poles marking the route. Private vehicle access is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter.
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, snacks, sunscreen, clothes for all weather conditions, sturdy shoes, topographic map, gps, compass
- Please note
- The track from Rawson Pass to the summit of Mount Kosciuszko is accessible by foot only.
- Mountain bikes and fat bikes are permitted only between Charlotte Pass and Rawson Pass, where there are bike stands. Riders please give way to walkers.
- Read our alpine safety tips before you set out.
This summer track is popular with nature loving hikers and mountain bikers keen for an outdoor adventure. Set out along the old road to Mount Kosciuszko, and have your camera ready for the glorious views of Australia's highest mountains, historic huts, weathered snow gums and rock formations on the way. Admire amazing displays of wildflowers including marsh marigolds, silver snow daisies, mountain roses, and buttercups in early summer.
Around 4.5km from Charlotte Pass the Snowy River offers a scenic spot for a picnic. Cross the river and continue your walk or ride as the track winds slowly up to Seaman's Hut, which was built in 1929, before carrying on to Rawson Pass. If riding, leave your bike at Rawson Pass (bike stands are available) and walk the 1.4km to the summit of Mount Kosciuszko (2228m).
Return to Charlotte Pass along the same track. If you're after a challenge and come well-equipped, combine this walk with the longer Main Range walk, or join the Thredbo to Mount Kosciuszko walk.
Take a virtual tour of Mount Kosciuszko Summit walk captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Charlotte Pass lookout offers easily accessed vistas of Australia’s highest mountains, in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park. Enjoy the views before walking to Mount Kosciuszko’s summit.
Historic Seamans Hut is a scenic stop along Mount Kosciuszko Summit trail and Main Range loop walk, in the alpine area of Kosciuszko National Park.
Mount Kosciuszko summit lookout marks the top of Australia’s highest mountain, in Kosciuszko National Park. Hike up from Charlotte Pass or Thredbo and soak in majestic views across the high country.
Are you planning a bushwalk, going somewhere remote or where the weather is extreme? Stay safe by planning your trip for all conditions and telling someone about it.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Snowy Region Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6450 5600
- 49 Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne NSW 2627
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter). Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc).Buy annual pass