Mount Kosciuszko Summit walk
Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Mount Kosciuszko Summit walk.
Grade 3Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
6 - 8hrs
Quality of markings
Clearly sign posted
Short steep hills
Quality of path
No experience required
Getting there and parking
Mount Kosciuszko Summit walk starts from Charlotte Pass, in the alpine precinct of Kosciuszko National Park. To get there:
- Drive along Kosciuszko Road from Jindabyne, following the signs to Perisher and Charlotte Pass
- Continue past the ski resorts of Smiggin Holes and Perisher Valley
- Charlotte Pass Village is around 40km from Jindabyne and will take you around 30mins to drive there
- The road between Perisher and Charlotte Pass is closed during winter
All 2WD vehicles need to carry snow chains in winter, between June and October long weekends, on:
- Kosciuszko Road (to Perisher)
- Guthega Road
- Alpine Way between Thredbo and Tom Groggin
Snow chains are recommended for all vehicles driving in the park, including 4WD and AWD, in the event of extreme weather. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips.
Check the weather before you set out as the road to Charlotte Pass can become covered in snow and ice.
Parking is available near the trackhead on Kosciuszko Road. Bus parking is available. It can be a busy place on the weekend, so parking may be limited.
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - hard
Kosciuszko National Park provides a TrailRider all-terrain wheelchair for hire free of charge, from the Snowy Region Visitor Information Centre, in Jindabyne.
The TrailRider offers visitors with mobility restrictions more opportunity to experience our park with family and friends.
- Cycling, including fat bikes or snow bikes, is permitted only on the section of trail between Charlotte Pass and Rawson Pass.
- You can cross-country ski or snowshoe this trail in winter but there are no snow poles marking the route.
- Walking is not recommended in winter as this trail is snowbound.
Camp fires and solid fuel burners
No open/wood fires are permitted in alpine areas. Remember to bring a gas or fuel stove if you intend to cook.
Flying a drone for recreational purposes is prohibited in this area. Drones may affect public enjoyment, safety and privacy, interfere with park operations, or pose a threat to wildlife. See the Drones in Parks policy.
This area may be a declared Drone Exclusion Zone, or may be subject to Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) rules for flying near airports, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites. See CASA's Drone Flyer Rules.
Commercial filming and photography
NSW national parks are no smoking areas. The alpine resorts of Thredbo, Perisher, Charlotte Pass, Selwyn, Ski Rider and Kosciuszko Tourist Park are exempt, though some commercial and outdoor places within these resorts may have no smoking areas.
- Snowy Region Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6450 5600
- 49 Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne NSW 2627
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter). Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc).Buy annual pass