Kosciuszko walk - Thredbo to Mount Kosciuszko
Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park
This iconic day walk from Thredbo will have you conquering the summit of Mount Kosciuszko in a couple of hours. You'll quite literally be on a high as you soak in the epic views from Australia's highest point.
- Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park
- 13km return
- Time suggested
- 4 - 5hrs
- Grade 3
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
If you're planning to loan a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) from one of these locations, wait and fill out your trip intention form in person.
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Opening times
The track is generally snowbound in winter (June to October). You can get to Mount Kosciuszko on cross-country skis or snowshoes, but there are no snow poles marking the route.
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen, snacks, clothes for all weather conditions, topographic map, gps, compass, personal locator beacon
- Please note
- The track starts at the top of the Kosciuszko Express Chairlift, which runs 9am to 4.30pm and takes 15mins. For chairlift prices visit the Thredbo website.
- You can also walk up Merritts Nature Track from Thredbo Village to the top of the chairlift. This difficult 4km track takes around 2-3 hours uphill.
If you’re visiting Kosciuszko National Park in the warmer months, a walk to the summit of Mount Kosciuszko is a must-do.
Starting at the top of the Kosciuszko Express chairlift at Thredbo, this popular day walk takes you to the rooftop of Australia. After the scenic chairlift ride, you'll travel past the rocky granite outcrops of Ramshead Range, and through alpine wildflowers (spring). Stop at the lookout for views of the country's highest mountain.
The track crosses the headwaters of the Snowy River, before climbing above Lake Cootapatamba and on to Rawson Pass. From here, it’s a gradual climb to the summit of Mount Kosciuszko (2228m). The sweeping 3600 views across the Snowy Mountains and Victorian High Country are sure to wow you. Stay a while to soak in the fresh alpine air, pack a summit snack, and wallow in your sense of achievement, before returning along the track to Thredbo.
Take a virtual tour of Kosciuszko walk - Thredbo to Mount Kosciuszko captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
Are you planning a bushwalk, going somewhere remote or where the weather is extreme? Stay safe by planning your trip for all conditions and telling someone about it.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Snowy Region Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6450 5600
- 49 Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne NSW 2627
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter). Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc).Buy annual pass