Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park
Enjoy alpine views from Cootapatamba lookout as you hike the popular walking track from Thredbo to Mount Kosciuszko, in the Snowy Mountains.
This scenic lookout is located around 4km from the top of Thredbo’s Kosciuszko Express chairlift (fees apply), where the Mount Kosciuszko walk starts.
From the lookout, take in views of Lake Cootapatamba, Australia’s highest lake—1 of only 5 lakes formed by glacial activity on the Australian mainland. From here, you can also see the iconic red Cootapatamba Hut which provides emergency shelter for hikers.
This landscape on the flanks of Mount Kosciuszko features impressive displays of wildflowers in late January to early February.
The track may be covered by snow patches through spring and even into summer. Check conditions before you set out.
This iconic day walk from Thredbo will have you conquering the summit of Mount Kosciuszko in a couple of hours. You'll quite literally be on a high as you soak in the epic views from Australia's highest point.
These maps give a basic overview of park attractions and facilities, and may not be detailed enough for some activities. We recommend that you buy a topographic map before you go exploring.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Snowy Region Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6450 5600
- 49 Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne NSW 2627
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter). Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc).Buy annual pass