Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park
Historic Seamans Hut is a scenic stop along Mount Kosciuszko Summit trail and Main Range loop walk, in the alpine area of Kosciuszko National Park.
This photogenic alpine hut is located on Etheridge Range, around 6km from Charlotte Pass, along Mount Kosciuszko Summit trail.
It’s a favourite spot to rest, or enjoy a picnic surrounded by the beauty of the Snowy Mountains, as you climb to Australia’s highest peak.
Built from stone in 1929, the 2-room hut is a memorial to skiers Laurie Seaman and Evan Hayes. It’s open to visitors for day use but is reserved for emergency shelter for hikers after sunset.
Get ready for a day of high altitude adventure. Hike or ride from Charlotte Pass to the summit of Mount Kosciuszko, through the high peaks of Kosciuszko National Park.
Intrepid hikers can tackle the challenging Main Range walk, which takes in glacial lakes, historic huts, and the summit of Mount Kosciuszko, across alpine high country in Kosciuszko National Park.
These maps give a basic overview of park attractions and facilities, and may not be detailed enough for some activities. We recommend that you buy a topographic map before you go exploring.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Snowy Region Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6450 5600
- 49 Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne NSW 2627
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter). Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc).Buy annual pass