Applies from Tue 31 Mar 2020, 12.00pm. Last reviewed: Fri 25 Sep 2020, 9.27am.
Closed areas: Closed areas in Kosciuszko National Park
A number of visitor facilities, attractions and sites in Kosciuszko National Park remain closed or may have other restrictions until further notice. This includes a number of areas closed due to recent bushfires.
Check this map to see if there are any closures before you set out.
Camping and accommodation
Some NPWS campgrounds and accommodation will need to remain closed. If you plan to stay at an NPWS campground that is open you'll need to make a booking first. This applies to campgrounds that did not require bookings previously. If you can't find your preferred Kosciuszko National Park campground on a webpage, check this list of lesser-known campgrounds in Kosciuszko National Park and make your booking from there. If you're still unable to find your preferred campground phone 1300 072 757.
- Bullocks Hut, including the access track from the Ski Tube Terminal, is closed due to maintenance works.
Some sections of Kosciuszko National Park which have been burnt remain closed. This is because they still may pose a risk to visitors due to dangerous trees and damaged infrastructure.
Specific areas which are closed due to the fires include:
- Areas within the park:
- Kiandra Court House
- Landers Falls lookout
- Wolgal Hut
- Buddong Falls
- Bicentennial National trail. For more information visit the Bicentennial National Trail website.
- Back country areas affected by fires. For more information please contact our visitor centres in Jindabyne, Tumut or Khancoban.
- Cabramurra township. Snowy Hydro's operational town suffered significant fire damage and, for safety reasons, is temporarily closed.
The following key roads in Kosciuszko National Park are closed due to annual winter or fire damage:
- Alpine Way area (currently closed with expected opening Friday 2 October 2020):
- Olsens Lookout Road
- Geehi Dam Road
- Geehi Walls trail
- Major Clews trail
- Grassy Flats trail
- Murray Gates trail
- Cabramurra area (currently closed until fire damage repair works completed – expected opening late 2020 or early 2021):
- Link Road from Snowy Mountains Highway to Goat Ridge Road
- Tooma Road - KNP5 (Khancoban to Cabramurra Road).
- Goats Ridge Road
- Elliot Way
- Kings Cross Road
- Tumut Ponds trail
- Snowy Mountains Highway area (currently closed with expected opening Friday 2 October 2020):
- Bullocks Hill trail
- Long Plain Road
- Pocket Saddle Road
- Port Phillip trail
- Broken Cart
- Blue Waterholes trail
- Four Mile trail
- Snowy Mountains Highway area (currently closed until fire damage repair works completed – expected opening end October 2020):
- Goobragandra Power Line Road
- Cumberland trail
- Kosciuszko Road (currently closed with expected opening Friday 2 October 2020):
- Perisher to Charlotte Pass
Do not enter closed areas in Kosciuszko National Park. Penalties apply for non-compliance. For more information, contact the local NPWS office.