National trail: Tom Groggin to Geehi
Khancoban area in Kosciuszko National Park
Ride, cycle, or hike 21km of National trail in Kosciuszko National Park. Saddle up your horses for a day of high-country adventure on this epic ride from Tom Groggin to Geehi horse camp.
- No wheelchair access
- 21km one-way
- Time suggested
- 4-6 hr
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Opening times
- Open between October and May. Check park alerts and the National trail website for details.
- What to
- Drinking water, food supplies, tent, sleeping bag, first aid kit, personal locator beacon, clothes for all weather conditions, hat, sunscreen, raincoat
- Please note
- For detailed information and trail notes, visit the National trail website.
- Horse riders and cyclists must give way to all walkers. Cyclists must give way to horse riders. Read the code of practice for horse riding.
- Remember to secure your horses in the yards at Tom Groggin or Geehi if you’re camping, as brumbies often visit.
- Alpine weather can change rapidly. Pack for extreme heat, as well as strong wind and snow, even in summer.
- Creeks often dry up by late summer so check with NPWS about water before you leave. You may need to bring water for horses.
- Use a topographic map and pack a compass as unexpected detours may be required.
Saddle up for a Man from Snowy River experience in the high country. This section of National trail, also known as Boardman's Run, follows the mighty Murray River and the Alpine Way in parts.
Starting at Tom Groggin, near Thredbo, it's suitable for competent horse riders, keen mountain bikers, and experienced walkers.
As you wind along the trail for 21km you'll encounter steep climbs, creek crossings through ferny valleys, and historic huts to explore. If you have fishing gear, stop to catch a trout in the river, then cook it up on fire rings at the horse camps at either Tom Groggin or Geehi.
Wallabies, wombats, kangaroos, and emus are often easy to spot on the ground in this area. Wedge-tailed eagles, flame-robins, treecreepers, and lyrebirds could be harder to glimpse, so it's worth packing binoculars. In spring the slopes come alive with purple hovea, then yellow and orange peas, while the plains are carpeted with yellow billy buttons and white paper daisies.
National trail is one of Australia’s iconic long-distance treks. It stretches 5330km, from Cooktown in Queensland to Healesville in Victoria and follows the historic coach, horse and stock routes of early European pioneers.
National Trail - Tom Groggin to Geehi
Tom Groggin horse camp is the perfect start or end point for a horse riding adventure along the scenic Tom Groggin to Geehi section of National trail, in Kosciuszko National Park.
Tom Groggin campground, between Khancoban and Thredbo, is an ideal base to enjoy fishing, bushwaking, mountain biking, and 4WDing in southern Kosciuszko National Park.
Stay at Geehi horse camp, on the Tom Groggin to Geehi section of the National trail, in Kosciuszko National Park. It’s a great place to unsaddle and rest on your horse riding adventure.
The free NSW National Parks app lets you download maps and explore parks, things to do and places to stay—all without mobile reception.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Snowy Region Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6450 5600
- 49 Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne NSW 2627
- in the Khancoban area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
The Khancoban area is open all year, but access along the Khancoban to Cabramurra Road is closed in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Single and Multi-Day passes available from Khancoban Visitor Centre's 24-hour vending machines, or via the Park'nPay app.Buy annual pass