Applies from Sat 9 Apr 2022, 1.03pm. Last reviewed: Fri 24 Jun 2022, 12.40pm
Closed areas: Parts of Blue Mountains National Park closed
Many walking tracks, roads and fire trails within Blue Mountains National Park remain closed following sustained wet weather, subsequent geological instability or infrastructure upgrades. As sites are re-opened, we remind visitors that these areas have been subject to long periods of high rainfall, and landslides, rockfall and treefall can occur without notice.
Please check which areas are closed before travelling.
The following areas are closed:
Katoomba and Leura
- Kedumba Pass and Sublime Point fire trails
- Gordon Falls track and lookout closed from Monday 2 May 2022 due to track work
- Lillian's Bridge track - closure at junction of Inspiration Point track. No through access to Valley of the Waters and the Conservation Hut due to a major landslide
- Prince Henry Cliff walk between Gordon Falls lookout and Olympian lookout, due to landslides. Visit the Blue Mountains City Council website for information
- Prince Henry Cliff walk between Lady Darley lookout and Cliff View lookout due to trackwork
- Amphitheatre track
- Bridal Veil lookout (west of Leura Cascades) is closed from 15 June 2022 to approximately the end of August 2022 for upgrade works
- Lone Lyrebird track between Gordon Road and the War Memorial, due to a major washout
- Pool of Siloam and Lyrebird Dell walking tracks
- Golf Links lookout to Carleton Road, Leura, is closed Monday to Friday for trackwork
- Dardanelles Pass loop walking track
- Giant Stairway
- No access from Echo Point to Scenic World via Giant Stairs and Dardanelles Pass
- Narrow Neck trail can only be accessed from Golden Stairs and Tarros Ladders
- Ruined Castle walking track
- Six Foot Track - Nellies Glen to Megalong Valley
- Nature track closed between Edinburgh Castle Rock and Lillian's Bridge
- Valley of Waters walking track closed below Sylvia Falls
- Charles Darwin walk
- National Pass
- Wentworth Pass
- No access to Conservation Hut parking area or visitor facilities
- No access to Lawson View fire trail to allow for road upgrade. Works are expected to be completed by Thursday 30 June 2022.
- Kedumba River Crossing campground
Blackheath, Medlow Bath, Megalong Valley, Mount Victoria and Bells Line
- All access tracks into the Grose Valley are closed, including Perrys Lookdown track, Shortridge Pass (Lockleys Pylon to Blue Gum), Victoria Falls walking track, Govetts Descent, Horse track, Rodriguez Pass and Pierces Pass.
- Braeside walking track due to track work (Braeside fire trail is open to cyclists and walkers.)
- Walls Cave walking track due to trackwork
- Evans lookout
- Blue Gum Forest
- Acacia Flat campground
- Perrys Lookdown campground
- Pulpit walking track and Pulpit Rock lookout
Lawson, Woodford, Hazelbrook
- Murphys Glen Road closed to vehicles (open to walkers and cyclists).
- Murphys Glen campground closed until Friday 15 July 2022 to allow for roadworks and camp ground improvements
- Empire Pass
Canyons and rock climbing
- Empress Canyon is closed
- Climbing and canyoning areas in the Blue Mountains are open unless the access road is closed or the site is listed in this alert.
Grade 5 tracks and off-trail areas
Grade 5 tracks and off-trail areas are open, excluding those listed below. Grade 5 tracks are for very experienced bushwalkers with specialised skills such as advanced navigation and emergency first aid. Please visit this page for further information on track grades.
If you plan on embarking on Grade 5 tracks and undertaking off-trail activities, please be aware of the likelihood of changed conditions and consider current safety advice.
Closed Grade 5 tracks:
- Mount Solitary loop due to landslides near Ruined Castle
- K2K (Kanangra to Katoomba) access only available from either Green Gully (Dunphy's campground), Kanangra Walls or Furber Stairs. Narrow Neck Plateau is only accessible from Golden Stairs and Tarros Ladders. Also note: Due to the ongoing wet conditions, Coxs River can flood at short notice and may be impassable. Walkers should check conditions before departing.
- Shortridge Pass from Lockleys Pylon to Blue Gum
- Roberts Pass
- Lindeman Pass
- Rodriguez Pass
- Govetts Descent
- Horse track
- Vera Falls and Hippocrene Falls walking tracks
Penalties apply for non-compliance. For more information, please contact the local office.
Affects 1 park and 31 locations nearby.