The Coast track
Royal National Park
Diversions and partial closures along Royal Coast Track
- Royal Coast Track is closed between Garie and Little Garie Beach due to rock falls and erosion.
- Royal Coast Track will be closed for upgrade works near Otford lookout between Monday and Friday until September 2022. This section of track will remain open on weekends.
- North Era campground is closed due to the impacts of flooding and nearby closures of sections of Royal Coast track.
Please check Royal Coast Track alerts for regular updates.
The Coast track in Sydney's Royal National Park is an epic multi-day walk between Bundeena and Otford. Enjoy incredible coastal lookouts, swimming spots, seasonal wildflowers and whale watching along this challenging 26km track.
- Royal National Park
- 26km one-way
- Time suggested
- 2 days
- Grade 5
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, snacks, sturdy shoes, suitable clothing, sunscreen, tent, sleeping bag, raincoat
- Please note
- If you plan to walk The Coast track please use our NPWS app and download maps for Royal National Park before you leave home.
- You'll need to book North Era campground online if you plan to camp overnight here. It's a popular place so book well in advance, especially from October to March.
- You'll need to be well-prepared and bring enough water and food for the journey.
- Check our Coast Track itinerary webpage for more detailed information.
- If driving to Bundeena it's a good idea to stop by the Royal National Park Visitor Centre for park information and maps.
The Coast track can be tackled in sections or, if you’re super-fit, in a day. It's best experienced as a 2-day backpack trip with an overnight stop at North Era campground (advance bookings required). Plan your walk during whale watching season, May to October, for a chance to spot migrating humpback whales.
Take a virtual tour of The Coast track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
The northern section of the walk covers around 18km from Bundeena to North Era.
Allow at least 7hrs to enjoy the rugged beauty of Royal National Park's sandstone escarpments, sandy beaches, coastal heath and forest, as you walk.
There are several scenic stops along the way, including Little Marley Beach, Wattamolla, Curracurrang Cove near Eagle Rock lookout, and Garie Beach. Stop for a rest, have a picnic, or cool off with a swim, before continuing to North Era campground for the night.
The southern section of the walk, between North Era and Otford lookout, covers 8km and takes around 3hrs.
You'll pass several heritage shacks at South Era, and travel through coastal rainforest of Burning Palms and Palm Jungle.
Why not stop at Burning Palms Beach, before climbing back atop the headlands. Take in the views from Werrong lookout then push on for the last couple of kilometres to Otford lookout.
Tours and events at this location
Hike The Coast track and immerse yourself in the beauty of Royal National Park with Women’s Fitness Adventures. Enjoy coastal views and the company of a supportive group of women on this 4-day trek.
Hike The Coast track in Royal National Park on an overnight trip with Ausjourney. Reconnect with nature and learn transferrable life skills on this trek for The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award.
Along the way
The free NSW National Parks app lets you download maps and explore parks, things to do and places to stay—all without mobile reception.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Royal National Park Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 9542 0648
- 1300 072 757 for campground and cottage bookings
- 2 Lady Carrington Drive, Audley, NSW 2232
- in Royal National Park in the Sydney and surrounds and South Coast regions
Royal National Park is open 7am to 8.30pm but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day. Seasonal ticket booths at Wattamolla and Garie Beach - cash and credit card facilities available. Please bring correct change. There are also coin and card operated pay and display machines to buy day passes or you can pay for your visit via the Park’nPay app.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).Buy annual pass