Sawpit walking track
Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park
Sawpit walking track is short and easy scenic walk the kids will love. Look out for kangaroos as you follow this loop from Sawpit Creek picnic area, in Kosciuszko National Park.
- 2km loop
- Time suggested
- 45min - 1hr 15min
- Grade 3
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Opening times
Sawpit walking track is open year-round, but may close in extreme weather.
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
This short and easy stroll is perfect for the whole family. Beginning from the northern end of Sawpit Creek picnic area, the walk follows Sawpit Creek through a woodland of candlebark, bark sallee, white sallee, manna gum, mountain gum and woolly tee tree. If you walk quietly you're likely to see birds and kangaroos along the track, while the crystal clear waters of the creek hide trout.
Follow the signs to loop back to Kosciuszko Tourist Park and make your way to Sawpit Creek picnic area, where you can enjoy a tasty picnic or barbecue lunch.
For a longer walk, follow Pallaibo walking track to Thredbo River picnic area. You can also access Sawpit walking track from nearby Kosciuszko Education Centre via a short paved track.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Southern corroboree frog conservation project
An iconic endangered species, the southern corroboree frog, found only in Kosciuszko National Park, faces the grave threat of extinction. Saving Our Species aims to prevent this from happening by battling chytrid fungus, protecting frog habitat from pests, and fostering a captive breeding program.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Snowy Region Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6450 5600
- 49 Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne NSW 2627
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter). Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc).Buy annual pass
Things to do (33)
- Adventure sports (5)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (2)
- Cycling (6)
- Educational activities (1)
- Environmental appreciation/study (1)
- Fishing (2)
- Other experiences (3)
- Picnics and barbecues (4)
- Snow sports (9)
- Swimming (1)
- Walking (11)
- Waterfalls (3)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (2)