Thredbo River picnic area
Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park
With its idyllic river setting, Thredbo River picnic area, near Jindabyne, is a popular rest stop while walking and fishing; take advantage of the free barbecues.
- Picnic areas
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Please note
- Drinking and cooking water is not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
- There is limited mobile reception in this park.
Spread out a blanket, lace up your walking shoes and enjoy the beautiful setting of Thredbo River picnic area. The relaxing backdrop of the river and surrounding forest combined with picnic tables and access to free barbecues make this a great spot for a break on a drive through the Snowy Mountains region.
Head for the riverbank and keep quiet as platypuses are sometimes seen here. They’re shy creatures though, so are more likely to be spotted at dusk. Golden clustered everlasting and blooming gum trees are abundant, particularly in spring.
Those who like to fish can throw in a line and try their luck at catching one of the prized trout. There are also plenty of opportunities to do some bushwalking, with the end of Pallaibo walking track nearby.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Southern corroboree frog conservation project
An iconic endangered species, the southern corroboree frog, found only in Kosciuszko National Park, faces the grave threat of extinction. Saving Our Species aims to prevent this from happening by battling chytrid fungus, protecting frog habitat from pests, and fostering a captive breeding program.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Snowy Region Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6450 5600
- 49 Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne NSW 2627
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter). Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc).Buy annual pass
Things to do (61)
- Adventure sports (5)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (4)
- Cafes and kiosks (1)
- Canoeing/paddling (2)
- Cycling (11)
- Educational activities (1)
- Fishing (5)
- Historic heritage (4)
- Other experiences (3)
- Picnics and barbecues (6)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (1)
- Sightseeing (7)
- Snow sports (18)
- Swimming (1)
- Visitor centres (3)
- Walking (22)
- Waterfalls (3)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (8)