Great North walk - Berowra Valley National Park
Berowra Valley National Park
Also known as Benowie walking track, this section of the iconic Great North walk between Sydney and Newcastle makes a great overnight hike or day walk. Camp out the night for an unforgettable bushland adventure.
- Berowra Valley National Park
- No wheelchair access
- 27km one-way
- Time suggested
- 3 - 4 days
- Grade 5
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- Please note
- There's no access through Hornsby Rifle Range, between Quarry trail and Tunks Ridge. For your safety, please respect 'no through' access and follow the Great North walk signs to Manor Road and Simon trail.
- Make sure you prepare well if you’re planning to walk overnight. Bring weather-appropriate gear, sunscreen and let someone know where you are going.
- Berowra creek is susceptible to pollution. Swimming should be avoided for three days after heavy rainfall or if the water is discoloured.
Also known as Benowie walking track, this beautiful bushland walk through Berowra Valley National Park follows Berowra Creek for 27km of the iconic Great North walk between Sydney and Newcastle.
This section of the walk, from Pennant Hills to Berowra Waters, takes about 2 to 3 days to walk, with several places to camp along the way. If you’d prefer a shorter walk, you can always break the trail up into more manageable sections, especially if you're taking the kids out for the day.
Join the walk from Pennant Hills, Westleigh, Hornsby, Galston Gorge picnic area or Berowra Waters, and head out into the bush for an adventure. There's no public access through Hornsby Rifle Range, between Quarry trail and Tunks Ridge, or from Stewart Avenue park entrance. Please follow the signs to continue Great North walk via Manor Road in Hornsby and Simon trail.
For a longer walk extend your trip south along the Great North walk - Lane Cove National Park or link up with the Great North walk – Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park and continue north towards Newcastle.
The free NSW National Parks app lets you download maps and explore parks, things to do and places to stay—all without mobile reception.
Are you planning a bushwalk, going somewhere remote or where the weather is extreme? Stay safe by planning your trip for all conditions and telling someone about it.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Bobbin Head Information Centre
- 10am to 4pm daily. 9am to 4pm during summer school holidays, closed 12pm-12:30pm. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 9472 8949
- 688 Ku-ring-gai Chase Road, Mount Colah, NSW 2079
- in Berowra Valley National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
- Berowra Valley National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger
- Crosslands Reserve is open 8am to 7.30pm during daylight savings and 9am to 5pm the rest of the year
- Barnetts Road Reserve and the lookout is closed from sunset to sunrise