Great North walk – Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
A challenging and hard walk, Jerusalem Bay track, from Cowan Station to Hawkesbury River, near Brooklyn, offers scenic views in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
- Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in Sydney and surrounds
- 11km one-way
- Time suggested
- 4hrs 30min - 5hrs 30min
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- Check the weather before you set out as Jerusalem Bay track can become boggy when it rains
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
Ever dreamt of completing the legendary Great North walk? Why not try a taster, without wearing out your walking boots? Great North walk - Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, is a challenging section that winds through dense bushland within the park. Starting from Cowan Train Station, it’s not just the scenic wilderness views that will take your breath away. It’s definitely a track for the experienced bushwalker.
Descending steeply, you’ll hardly believe you’re only an hour from the centre of Sydney. The track leads past the ruins of Rhodes boatshed and on to Jerusalem Bay. Stop here for a break and take in the spectacular views over Cowan Water before tacking the hard climb to Brooklyn. You might be in need of a beverage or two at the pub before catching the train at Hawkesbury River Train Station.
The free NSW National Parks app lets you download maps and explore parks, things to do and places to stay—all without mobile reception.
Are you planning a bushwalk, going somewhere remote or where the weather is extreme? Stay safe by planning your trip for all conditions and telling someone about it.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Bobbin Head Information Centre
- 10am to 4pm daily. 9am to 4pm during summer school holidays, closed 12pm-12:30pm. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 9472 8949
- 688 Ku-ring-gai Chase Road, Mount Colah, NSW 2079
- in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- The entrance to Bobbin Head and Appletree Bay is closed from 8pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 5.30pm to 6am the rest of the year.
- Gates to West Head are closed from 8.30pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 6pm to 6am the rest of the year.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day. You can also pay for your visit via the Park’nPay app.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).
A $3 per adult, $2 per child landing fee may apply for day visitors to The Basin campground. Please pay at the campground wharf. Landing fees are included in your camping fees.
Under the Plan of Management for this park, prior written approval is required for organised groups of 20 or more people planning to visit this park. Contact the park office before your visit.Buy annual pass