Great North walk - Brisbane Water National Park
Brisbane Water National Park
You’ll find the Wondabyne to Patonga and Patonga to Pearl Beach parts of the iconic Great North walk in Brisbane Water National Park. Take a short walk or overnight hike.
- Brisbane Water National Park
- 38km one-way
- Time suggested
- 1 - 3 days
- Grade 5
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Please note
- The Brisbane Water National Park section of the walk ranges from 4.2km up to 34km one way
- Great North walk is 250km in total, so plan carefully if you want to walk the entire track
Built in 1988 to celebrate Australia’s bicentennial year, Great North walk is a 250km bushwalking track linking the Sydney CBD with the Hunter Valley and Newcastle. The track passes through a number of national parks, including Brisbane Water National Park (for 34km), and is undoubtedly one of the best walks in NSW.
The walk offers something for everyone. If you’re walking with children you can choose an easy section of the track, and if you’re feeling energetic you can choose an overnight walk, or a more challenging section to hike. Whichever way you choose to walk this iconic track, you will definitely enjoy spectacular views, a scenic landscape and the sounds of native birds and wildlife.
The sections of Great North walk that are in the park include:
- Patonga to Pearl Beach – 3km
- Patonga to Wondabyne – 23km
- Patonga to Mooney Mooney Creek campground (via Mt Wondabyne) – 30km
- Wondabyne to Mooney Mooney Creek campground – 12km
If you can, it’s worth taking a couple of days to hike this section to really enjoy the bushland environment and local scenery. Continue your Great North walk exploration by linking with Great North walk – Berowra Valley National Park towards Sydney or continue north along Great North walk - Palm Grove Nature Reserve.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Are you planning a bushwalk, going somewhere remote or where the weather is extreme? Stay safe by planning your trip for all conditions and telling someone about it.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- Girrakool office
- Monday to Friday, hours vary.
- 02 4320 4200
- 59 Girrakool Rd, Somersby, NSW 2250
- in Brisbane Water National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Two picnic areas within the park close of an evening:
- Girrakool picnic area is open 9am to 5pm every day
- Somersby Falls picnic area is open 8am to 8pm during daylight savings and is open 8am to 5pm at other times
Other areas of Brisbane Water National Park will be open at all times, however may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day applies at Girrakool and Somersby Falls picnic areas. The park has coin-operated pay and display machines - please bring correct coins.
You will need a permit to hold a wedding or undertake commercial photography within the park.Buy annual pass