Mooney Mooney nature walk
Brisbane Water National Park
Enjoy a hiking adventure along Mooney Mooney nature walk, on the NSW Central Coast. Crossing Piles Creek, this walking track offers lots of lookouts and birdwatching opportunities.
- Brisbane Water National Park
- 4.2km one-way
- Time suggested
- 2hrs 30min - 3hrs 30min
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Opening times
Mooney Mooney nature walk is always open, however the gate to Girrakool picnic area, at one end of the track, is closed between 5pm and 9am.
- What to
- Hat, drinking water, sunscreen
- Please note
- This walk involves creek crossings, and passes over and under rock platforms which can be slippery. Please take care and supervise children at all times.
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
Mooney Mooney nature walk links Mooney Mooney and Girrakool, leading through some of the most picturesque parts of Brisbane Water National Park. This challenging walk passes through diverse landscapes, including rainforest, grassy woodlands, waterfalls, casuarina forest and cave-like rocky overhangs.
Climbing steeply, perfectly positioned lookouts offer the chance to rest and take in the exquisite NSW Central Coast vistas. Crossing the scenic Piles Creek suspension bridge, pause to soak up serene views in all directions. In spring, you’ll see carpets of colourful wildflowers, including red darwinias, yellow acacias and orange banksias.
If you’re keen on birdwatching, you’ll love having the opportunity to see lyrebirds and kookaburras. Observant walkers may even spot a koala or two, along with native orchids clinging to moss-covered boulders.
You can also start this walk from the Girrakool end of the track.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- in Brisbane Water National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Two picnic areas within the park close of an evening:
- Girrakool picnic area is open 9am to 5pm every day
- Somersby Falls picnic area is open 8am to 8pm during daylight savings and is open 8am to 5pm at other times
Other areas of Brisbane Water National Park will be open at all times, however may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day applies at Girrakool and Somersby Falls picnic areas. The park has coin-operated pay and display machines - please bring correct coins.
You will need a permit to hold a wedding or undertake commercial photography within the park.Buy annual pass