Mooney Mooney nature walk
Brisbane Water National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Mooney Mooney nature walk.
Grade 4Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
2hrs 30min - 3hrs 30min
Quality of markings
Quality of path
Rough track, many obstacles
Getting there and parking
Begin your walk at the Mooney Mooney end of the track. To get there from Gosford:
- Travel to Somersby and follow Old Pacific Highway south towards Sydney
- Travel over the F3 and follow Old Pacific Highway downhill for about 2km
- After the sharp corner, turn left into the small, unsealed informal parking area – it’s near the Brisbane Water National Park sign, about 400m before Mooney Mooney Creek.
- The track begins from Old Pacific Highway at the gate to Mooney trail
Parking is available at Girrakool picnic area, including designated disabled parking. Informal parking is also available at the intersection of Old Pacific Highway and Mooney trail.
It can be a busy place on the weekend, so parking might be limited.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Brisbane Water National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
The cooler weather makes it a perfect time to find a waterfall walking track, and keep an eye out for ancient Aboriginal engravings along the way.
Pack a picnic lunch and soak up the delightful sights and sounds of spring. Relax among the wildflowers and wildlife as the Hawkesbury River flows by.
Take advantage of the warmer summer weather and paddle down Patonga Creek or Mooney Mooney Creek in a canoe.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
15°C and 27°C
5°C and 19°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- Drinking water is limited or not available in this area, so remember to bring your own.
- The nearest toilets are at Girrakool picnic area, at the end of this one-way walking track.
Maps and downloads
- in Brisbane Water National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Two picnic areas within the park close of an evening:
- Girrakool picnic area is open 9am to 5pm every day
- Somersby Falls picnic area is open 8am to 8pm during daylight savings and is open 8am to 5pm at other times
Other areas of Brisbane Water National Park will be open at all times, however may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day applies at Girrakool and Somersby Falls picnic areas. The park has coin-operated pay and display machines - please bring correct coins.
You will need a permit to hold a wedding or undertake commercial photography within the park.Buy annual pass