Gibberagong walking track
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
Moderate Gibberagong walking track offers a scenic mangrove boardwalk and bushwalk with picnicking, birdwatching and wildlife in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
- Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
- 8.3km return
- Time suggested
- 3hrs 30min - 4hrs 30min
- Grade 3
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch.
A pleasant bush track leading to a scenic waterhole, Gibberagong walking track is an ideal nature day trip for the adventurous bushwalker. The moderate walking track starts at Bobbin Head in the southern section of Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park. Taking in unique saltwater wetlands, it’s ideal for wildlife-spotting and birdwatching.
Following Cockle Creek, you’ll reach an easy boardwalk, where grey saltwater mangroves grow in the brackish waters. Beneath your feet, a whole watery ecosystem thrives, with plankton, crabs and shellfish. You’re more likely to see wading birds like herons, spoonbills and ibises looking for snacks. You might even glimpse an azure kingfisher darting amongst the mangroves.
The track winds through the bush, crossing the creek several times before arriving at a large waterhole. Enjoy a leisurely picnic before heading back, or hold out for an indulgent lunch at one of the delicious eateries at Bobbin Head.
Take a virtual tour of Gibberagong walking track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- The entrance to Bobbin Head and Appletree Bay is closed from 8pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 5.30pm to 6am the rest of the year.
- Gates to West Head are closed from 8.30pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 6pm to 6am the rest of the year.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).Buy annual pass