Cascades walking track
New England National Park
Cascades walking track in New England National Park is a rainforest stream walk that travels down through the valley below Wrights lookout for amazing scenic views.
- New England National Park in North Coast, Country NSW
- 5.7km loop
- Time suggested
- 2hrs 30min - 3hrs 30min
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen, suitable clothing
- Please note
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch
This gorgeous and tranquil 5.7km walk (return) takes viewers down along the beautiful valley below Wrights lookout walking track past cascades and waterfalls, alongside giant king ferns and mossy boulders. Five Day Creek, along Cascades walking track, is one of the most beautiful rainforest streams in New South Wales.
Visitors have described doing this walk as like being in another world, filled with vivid green moss, liverworts and lush ferns. It stands in stark contrast to the nearby dry, low heath covered, rocky outcrop of Wrights lookout. Wander slowly and find fascinating fungi along the way.
You may hear the deep calls of the brown pigeon or see flocks of white-headed or topknot pigeons searching for rainforest fruits. An enormous variety of invertebrate animals live in the park and may be encountered on this walk - the most famous of which is the living fossil velvet worm, or ‘peripatus’, as it’s commonly known. Rather like a velvety caterpillar, it can be found in moist places under fallen timber and in sphagnum moss. It has changed little from its ancestor - one of the first creatures that moved onto land 540 million years ago.
Google Street View Trekker
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Dorrigo Rainforest Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6657 5913
- 142 Dome Road Dorrigo Mountain NSW 2453
- in New England National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
New England National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (13)
- Aboriginal culture (1)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (6)
- Cultural heritage (1)
- Geotourism (1)
- Photography (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (4)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (1)
- Sightseeing (12)
- Swimming (1)
- Walking (9)
- Waterfalls (4)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (3)