Wrights lookout walking track
New England National Park
Wrights lookout walking track takes you through a lush world of ferns and wildflowers to a rocky plateau with spectacular panoramic views looking down to Bellinger River.
- New England National Park in North Coast, Country NSW
- 3.4km return
- Time suggested
- 1 - 2hrs
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- What to
- Hat, drinking water, sunscreen
- Please note
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch
The walk to Wrights lookout takes you from the lush world of ferns and mosses to a rocky plateau with spectacular panoramic views.
It’s a bit of a scramble to get to the top, but you’ll be rewarded at the end, standing on the top of an ancient trachyte remnant of Ebor Volcano, looking down to Bellinger River in the valley below.
Pack a thermos and enjoy a hot cuppa and a picnic with a view. The views from the top are beautiful all year round, but in spring the heathlands burst with colourful wildflowers. For the birdwatchers, keep your eyes out for honeyeaters as they come to feed on the flowering banksia.
On the way back, why not continue on Lyrebird walking track for the full New England experience? Immerse yourself in the ancient Gondwana rainforests and discover secret dells where lyrebirds call.
Google Street View Trekker
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Dorrigo Rainforest Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6657 5913
- 142 Dome Road Dorrigo Mountain NSW 2453
- in New England National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
New England National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (13)
- Aboriginal culture (1)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (6)
- Cultural heritage (1)
- Geotourism (1)
- Photography (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (4)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (1)
- Sightseeing (12)
- Swimming (1)
- Walking (9)
- Waterfalls (4)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (3)