Birrawanna walking track
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
Historic Birrawanna walking track offers a great family day trip with wildlife-spotting, birdwatching and picnicking options and scenic views in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
- 4km return
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min - 2hrs 30min
- Grade 3
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch.
After learning all about the plants, animals and Aboriginal history of Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park at Kalkari Discovery Centre, head along the moderately difficult Birrawanna walking track. The kids will love putting their newfound knowledge into practice. A great nature adventure on a family day trip, historic Birrawanna walking track leads to Bobbin Head, where you can stop for a waterfront picnic or grab a tasty lunch at Bobbin Inn Café.
Skirting the emu enclosure, the medium difficulty track passes through woodlands of scribbly gum and red bloodwood to join a historic track of open forests before reaching Bobbin Head. Be sure to look for the vibrant red waratah.
On the way back up, stop for a breather and check out the lovely views over Cockle Creek and Cowan Water. You might see a brown hawk or nankeen kestrel circling above, looking for lizards and insects.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Bobbin Head Information Centre
- 10am to 4pm daily. 9am to 4pm during summer school holidays, closed 12pm-12:30pm. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 9472 8949
- 688 Ku-ring-gai Chase Road, Mount Colah, NSW 2079
- in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- The entrance to Bobbin Head and Appletree Bay is closed from 8pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 5.30pm to 6am the rest of the year.
- Gates to West Head are closed from 8.30pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 6pm to 6am the rest of the year.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day. You can also pay for your visit via the Park’nPay app.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).
A $3 per adult, $2 per child landing fee may apply for day visitors to The Basin campground. Please pay at the campground wharf. Landing fees are included in your camping fees.
Under the Plan of Management for this park, prior written approval is required for organised groups of 20 or more people planning to visit this park. Contact the park office before your visit.Buy annual pass