Birrawanna walking track
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
Historic Birrawanna walking track offers a great family day trip with wildlife-spotting, birdwatching and picnicking options and scenic views in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
- Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
- 4km return
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min - 2hrs 30min
- Grade 3
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch.
After learning all about the plants, animals and Aboriginal history of Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park at Kalkari Discovery Centre, head along the moderately difficult Birrawanna walking track. The kids will love putting their newfound knowledge into practice. A great nature adventure on a family day trip, historic Birrawanna walking track leads to Bobbin Head, where you can stop for a waterfront picnic or grab a tasty lunch at Bobbin Inn Café.
Skirting the emu enclosure, the medium difficulty track passes through woodlands of scribbly gum and red bloodwood to join a historic track of open forests before reaching Bobbin Head. Be sure to look for the vibrant red waratah.
On the way back up, stop for a breather and check out the lovely views over Cockle Creek and Cowan Water. You might see a brown hawk or nankeen kestrel circling above, looking for lizards and insects.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Bobbin Head Information Centre
- 10am to 4pm daily. 9am to 4pm during summer school holidays, closed 12pm-12:30pm. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 9472 8949
- 688 Ku-ring-gai Chase Road, Mount Colah, NSW 2079
- in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- The entrance to Bobbin Head and Appletree Bay is closed from 8pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 5.30pm to 6am the rest of the year.
- Gates to West Head are closed from 8.30pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 6pm to 6am the rest of the year.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).
A $3 per adult, $2 per child landing fee may apply for day visitors to The Basin campground. Please pay at the campground wharf. Landing fees are included in your camping fees.Buy annual pass