Leatherbarrel Creek picnic area
Khancoban area in Kosciuszko National Park
All the practical information you need to know about the Leatherbarrel Creek picnic area.
Getting there and parking
Leatherbarrel Creek picnic area is in the Alpine Way precinct of Kosciuszko National Park. To get there from Jindabyne:
- Drive for 3km to the Alpine Way turn-off
- Turn left and drive 47.8km along Alpine Way
- Alternatively, from Khancoban, drive 60.2km along Alpine Way.
All 2WD vehicles need to carry snow chains in winter, between June and October long weekends, on:
- Kosciuszko Road (to Perisher)
- Guthega Road
- Alpine Way between Thredbo and Tom Groggin
Snow chains are recommended for all vehicles driving in the park, including 4WD and AWD, in the event of extreme weather. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips.
- Sealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- Snow chains required after snow
Parking is available adjacent to Alpine Way, with a short walk to the creek, picnic area and toilet facilities.
- Non-flush toilets
- Fire rings (bring your own firewood)
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - medium
- Assistance may be required to access this area
- Snowy Region Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6450 5600
- 49 Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne NSW 2627
- in the Khancoban area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
The Khancoban area is open all year, but access along the Khancoban to Cabramurra Road is closed in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Entry passes available from Khancoban Visitor Centre's 24-hour vending machines.Buy annual pass