Leatherbarrel Creek picnic area
Khancoban area in Kosciuszko National Park
Leatherbarrel Creek picnic area is a small basic site that offers birdwatching and a good rest stop for car tourists on Alpine Way.
- Picnic areas
- Khancoban area in Kosciuszko National Park
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Please note
- Drinking water is limited or not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
- We encourage you to bring gas or fuel stoves, especially in summer during the fire season.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go bird watching.
- There is limited mobile reception in this park.
As the scenic and meandering Alpine Way winds through Kosciuszko National Park, it’s a great idea to take advantage of the many rest stops along the way. One terrific spot can be found at Leatherbarrel Creek picnic area, where steep mountainsides covered in tall forest surround a small grassy flat with plenty of shade.
Pack lunch or afternoon tea (don’t forget the billy), and roll out a picnic blanket so you can lay back and listen to the serene sounds of the beautiful creek. A number of birds call Leatherbarrel home, so if birdwatching is an interest, bring some binoculars too, and keep your eye out for currawongs, kookaburras, rosellas and willy wagtails. Brush-trailed possums like to visit the area at night.
If you find yourself fatigued on the road, Leatherbarrel Creek picnic area doubles as a small campground. Other camping options can be found in the nearby Thredbo Valley, Tom Groggin, or Geehi.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
An iconic endangered species, the southern corroboree frog, found only in Kosciuszko National Park, faces the grave threat of extinction. Saving Our Species aims to prevent this from happening by battling chytrid fungus, protecting frog habitat from pests, and fostering a captive breeding program.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- Snowy Region Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6450 5600
- 49 Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne NSW 2627
- in the Khancoban area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
The Khancoban area is open all year, but access along the Khancoban to Cabramurra Road is closed in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Entry passes available from Khancoban Visitor Centre's 24-hour vending machines.Buy annual pass